Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

3rd member upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts
Default 3rd member upgrades

OK I am thinking I want to swap in some better gears like area of 4:10?

Probly gonna look for sets already setup

Now what should I look for carrier wise?

I do not want full time lockers, can't afford air lockers

Should I look for limited slip?

What are true tracks?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd get the Ashcroft ATB. Lucky 8 can sell them to you setup on an exchange basis I believe.

The Ashcroft is like the truetrac, but has twice the gears for more friction, so in theory they should work a little better.

I'm actually strongly considering it from my 90.... but then I always hesitate and think to myself, do I want lockers instead?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I have a dodge 1/2 ton turd with a Detroit locker(auto spring locker) in the rear. it performs fine. it is strong as I abuse the pee out of it.

I have a g80 (auto lsd) in the rear of my dd chebby. I like it, it locks up when it needs to and it is un-noticed.

had air lockers in a jeep. worked great. loved the lock to open control. I didn't like the extra components. Though, the only issue I ever had was a seal leak.
offroaded a new rubi with the electric bs. absolutely hated it. they were slow to lock and, more importantly, slow to unlock. it converted switchbacks and sharp turns into 3 to 4 point pitas.

my d2 has tt (gear driven lsd) front and back w/4:43. I love the set up. it seems to work with the tc perfectly. it's locked up enough that I have been unable to maneuver into a situation that all four aren't working. I have never needed to twerk with brakes to get it to perform. it is strong, for a lsd. pegging the diff is also a great way to add strength and reliability. if I had to make a complaint,, it is on road characteristics, changed by the front tt. well, not really a complaint, but it tightens steering....as in, it wants to go straight. just takes some quick getting used to. it doesn't effect the turning radius, just makes a long turns heavier than they were stock.
the trade off for me is "set it and forget it" I, personally, enjoy the lack of components more than the ability to switch to an open diff. but if it bothered me enough, I would switch to arb in the front and keep the tt in the rear.
Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine

Last edited by dusty1; 02-12-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

that Ashcroft sounds great, too.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Save up for the Ashcroft air lockers. Of course then you'll want HD axles/cv's too.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Baja

Well my experience has mainly been with cars and posi trac/limited slip stuff, with the exception of a Detroit that would not unlock and was a nightmare on road

Great article

I drive from n.j. to va. So needs to have road manners

I mean my setup as is seems perfect for what we do, except I want better gearing and want to go the 4.6 route, I plan to probly go up 1 more inch on suspension in the future then slightly larger tires but will be a year or 2

Guess I want something like the ashcrofts but not the lockers

Last edited by TOM R; 02-12-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to actually wheel, like rocks and stuff, lifting tire... you should get selectable lockers. LSDs work less and less well the larger your tire goes. I'd love to get the ATBs for my truck, but its never going larger than 31s and isn't going to be a crawler.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MM3846
If you want to actually wheel, like rocks and stuff, lifting tire... you should get selectable lockers. LSDs work less and less well the larger your tire goes. I'd love to get the ATBs for my truck, but its never going larger than 31s and isn't going to be a crawler.
I guess I need bigger tires, maybe I can quite snapping axles and cv joints.
iiirc, recommendation is not to go over 35"

Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Baja

Don't like rock crawling

Looked at lucky 8

If I buy new I can't even budget for 1 axle

Guess I will wait till I find a used setup

Last edited by TOM R; 02-12-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I guess I need bigger tires, maybe I can quite snapping axles and cv joints.
iiirc, recommendation is not to go over 35"
I've heard the ATB is a bit easier on parts, but the TruTrac is known to eat **** up with big tires.. especially if you try and modulate it with brake pedal input. I'll assume the Rover traction control does the same thing.

Quick Reply: 3rd member upgrades