Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Our 2001 Disco II was a Godsend during Harvey

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our 2001 Disco II was a Godsend during Harvey

Waded through water up to 3 feet deep, got us out and about when none of our other vehicles possibly could. I'll never say a bad word about Discos again!

Anyway, it's convinced 'er indoors to keep the thing, and I have it in mind to put the cash into it to make it less of the "Chelsea Tractor" and even more of a bug-out vehicle than Land Rover ever intended.

What I have in mind is:

Raise the suspension 6 inches;
Snorkel and waterproofing the engine compartment;
High level breathers for the engine and tranny cases;
Stone / splash guard / skid plate under the engine;
Steel front bumper with winch;
Fog and/or spot lights on top the bumper, not low down in the plastic bumper;
Tires with chunky treads;
Yellow flashing light on the roof (just in case).

Any suggestions where to buy all this stuff? My go to is Rover parts.com.

Any suggestions for more mods?

Any suggestions for servicing after her bath?

It's a 2001 Discovery II SE7, 4.0 gasoline V-8, WITH secondary air, engine already replaced and transmission already rebuilt. It has high and low boxes but no diff locks. Body is rust free, some plastic bits have fallen off, and the front bumper and grille need replacing anyway due to an unrelated fender bender.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Lucky8 has the best prices I've seen.
Quality parts, fast shipping, excellent customer service.
I have bought alot of parts from them in the last 2 months, and can't say enough good about them.
Their competitors prices had almost scared me into selling my new to me 04 Disco. I'm glad I found them!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

The amount of lift your after is going to be rough to pull off

I would look at either tru tracs for the front and rear diff or a trutrac for the front and a locker for the rear. Also make sure you have cdl on your tcase. Upgraded axles and a bunch of other bits to make everything work.

I would also now change your fluids in the diff at a minimum, but would like do the transfer case as well. Cheap insurance.

Also i would call Lucky8 and tell them what you want your end state to be. They will be able to help you get there. They are awesome.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Raise it 6 inches? On a Disco?
Bloody hell!

Old 09-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

maybe this and a 2" body lift

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...very-2-4in-kit

Honestly a D2 on 33's will get you where you want to go.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Start a topic/thread in the build forum, looking forward to following along. Always best to start off with some "before" pictures, too.

Brian.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Terrafirma does make a 5", 9", and even 11" kit for the disco. I priced out the 5" to be about $1k. That's my plan and it comes with all new arms and mounts.

If you ever need/want help, let me know. I'm just north of Austin. Trevor from Rovahfarm will price match anyone and can get you just about any part from across the pond. His posted process beat Atlantic British though, so check there first.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the 6 inch lift might be a bit ambitious? I had second thoughts too when I saw how close the roof bars come to the top of the garage door too...

Maybe some oversize rims and tires will be easier? I don't think I need a lot of lift assuming Harvey really did turn out to be a once in 500 year event (don't mention Allison...).

Will probably start the mods when I get back into work. Might have to buy the beast off The Memsahib first so its all mine to do with as I please and rent a lock-up to work in. Bumper, headlight and grill first to repair the fender bender damage. Then the fluid changes. Waterproofing the engine and tranny third, snorkel fourth. Periscope and torpedo tubes after that ;-)

FWIW I have an old University pal who's back at JLR after a few years as a Chief Engineer at Aston Martin - worked himself out of a job there switching Astons over to AMG engines, transmissions and the electronics that go with them. He worked on the Disco II development back in the 90s. Good source for inside tips, which I'll share with his permission.