Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Modifications (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/)
-   -   D1 dash radio button mods (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/d1-dash-radio-button-mods-86225/)

RedneckHippy 09-27-2017 07:04 AM

D1 dash radio button mods

I replaced the the factory (broken) tape deck in my '97 Disco with a bluetooth CD player. So, I have no need for the "remote" radio buttons on the dash. Has anyone modified theirs to run aux lights, etc? I know the momentary switches (volume/sel) would have to be replaced with on/off switches (defrost/rear wiper).

fishEH 09-28-2017 01:17 PM

I used the Vol +/- buttons for remote winch controls. I used a 3 way toggle switch that cut off power to the controls to avoid accidental bumping.
The 3 way switch was setup like this.
Up position : power to winch controls
Middle position : Off
Down position : power to air compressor
I figured the chances of me needing to run my air compressor and winch at the same time were slim to none.

RedneckHippy 09-29-2017 03:56 PM

fishEH,

Thanks for the input. I started wondering if that would also work. Wasn't sure if the switches would handle the load or not. I'm not very electronic savvy, but I can run the wires & find the ground & hot. HA!

fishEH 09-30-2017 08:11 AM

I ran the switches to relays that controlled the contactor pack. I also had a winch remote socket in my grill for traditional operation.

The Deputy 10-01-2017 06:01 PM

Yes, always best to use a relay to carry the load...basically...that's the purpose of a relay.

Brian.

RedneckHippy 10-02-2017 06:09 AM

Thanks guys. I know the basic theory, but never had enough interest in electric or A/C to learn all that I should have. HA! I have an idea of what I need to do, now. I'm doing my lift in the next month or 2. Followed by a roof rack with lights front & back. By then, I might finally decide which bumper I want. So, I have some time to design something up.

fishEH 10-02-2017 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckHippy (Post 621340)
Thanks guys. I know the basic theory, but never had enough interest in electric or A/C to learn all that I should have. HA! I have an idea of what I need to do, now. I'm doing my lift in the next month or 2. Followed by a roof rack with lights front & back. By then, I might finally decide which bumper I want. So, I have some time to design something up.

If its 12volts and on your truck its going to be DC, not AC.
For your lights I'd skip the KC Hilighters, only gay Jeeps run those.

RedneckHippy 10-02-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 621367)
If its 12volts and on your truck its going to be DC, not AC.
For your lights I'd skip the KC Hilighters, only gay Jeeps run those.

Yes, 12 v. HAHA! KC is too 1980s for me, anyway. I'm thinking Hellas.