Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Disco 1 roof lining replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Disco 1 roof lining replacement

As is the norm on the D1 the roof lining sagged. Quotes of between R1000.00 and R3500.00 ZAR to recover the rooflining.

After much soul searching I got stuck in and yanked it out on Sunday. Although not quite sure what to do with it as a refurb process!!!.

Any way I ripped off the cloth and used a wire brush to remove the balance of the rotten foam. I then used a scouring pad to get a clean surface.

NOW WHAT TO COVER IT WITH?????

I spent lots of airtime with paint shops and finally got some great help from CHEMSPEC in Johannesburg. They suggested their product Stonechip (waterbased) which comes in Black, grey or white. The outlet for chem spec is House of Paint of which I went to the Edenvale branch. The guys there were really helpful and offered to mix a colour for me into the White Stone chip. we settled on a beige ish colour and off I went to get a stone chip gun.

I set myself up at home and with a full compressor started to spray on the first coat. Well initially I was very sceptical, and so left it to dry over night.

Second coat went on, well what a difference it looks great after a day drying in the sun.

I re-installed today and I am suitably impressed. Ok so it does look a little less soft than the cloth but hell it wont sag, it wont rot, and its washable.

Its well worth the effort, and cost.

Two bottels of stone chip R80.00 ZAR
One Stone chip gun R190.00 ZAR
and some time.
Feeling of achievement Priceless

This all took place after reading the Haynes Manual which says dont tackle the job yourself. HAHA. No offence Haynes is good this was just not so difficult.

Oh yes of course the plus is you get to check your sunroof drains as well.

No dount someone will want pics so I will ppost them tommorrow