Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Has anyone thought about the Cummins Repower?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Has anyone thought about the Cummins Repower?

I've been mulling this over in my mind for weeks. Now that Cummins has released more information I'm pretty set on doing this when it's released. Here's the website.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

As far as I can tell the things that need to be created are
  • Bell Housing adapter plate
  • AC Compressor Mount
  • Engine mounts
  • Power Steering Connections
  • Radiator Connections
  • Coolant Connections

And then lots of wiring.

Things I'm unsure of.
  • Will the fuel pump in the Disco 2 work with diesel? I'll still need to figure out filtration for the fuel. Edit: The engine has a pickup style mechanical fuel pump on it, so no big deal there. Just have to run it through a diesel fuel filter. Will need to figure out how to retain my stock sending unit so that I'll know how much fuel I have.
  • It has a built in vacuum source, but I'll need to figure out all of the vacuum needs of the Disco2.
  • To replace the radiator at the same time or not?
  • Which electric fans to use? Maybe buy a radiator/E fan combo from a reputable source?

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Last edited by Mskembo; 05-14-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

other cummins problems, suspension, and front differential clearance when mounting the motor. The modest output of the motor you linked will not be to much for the stock transmission. Add to that torque converter as the stock one might not work to well for the rpm/power band of that diesel.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Any idea on the cost of these, surely they would be more than a cost of a D1/D2 ?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
other cummins problems, suspension, and front differential clearance when mounting the motor. The modest output of the motor you linked will not be to much for the stock transmission. Add to that torque converter as the stock one might not work to well for the rpm/power band of that diesel.
This is one is only about 100lbs heavier than the stock V8, so I don't see that being an issue. Clearance issues are definitely always a concern, but I plan on addressing that with a lift. The lift and larger tires will also help put the highway cruising speed right in the lower part of the sweet spot form that engine's powerband.

Torque converter... yeah, that could be a real issue. I'll have to look into that. Thanks! I knew I was overlooking some things.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by loanrangie
Any idea on the cost of these, surely they would be more than a cost of a D1/D2 ?
Between $7500 and $10,000 is the guestimate. So yeah a lot more than a used D2, but since I can't have a diesel D2 without doing something drastic, this seems promising.

Being able to get double or more MPG than stock will eventually pay it back (maybe)...

Old 05-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Drifting
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskembo
This is one is only about 100lbs heavier than the stock V8, so I don't see that being an issue. Clearance issues are definitely always a concern, but I plan on addressing that with a lift. The lift and larger tires will also help put the highway cruising speed right in the lower part of the sweet spot form that engine's powerband.

Torque converter... yeah, that could be a real issue. I'll have to look into that. Thanks! I knew I was overlooking some things.
Pairing a D1 5 speed would solve that issue....

Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Dad
Pairing a D1 5 speed would solve that issue....
I've thought about that, but from the conversions I've seen it looks like a nightmare, even if you are able to find the parts. I'm also toying with the idea of just putting in an aftermarket 5 speed (like they did in the Dirt Every Day episode, since Advance Adapters is already making a conversion kit) paired with an Atlas TC. If I do that I'd probably have to get new axles so that the driveline would line up, then everything gets really expensive.