Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Modifications (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/)
-   -   Information on retrofitting H.I.D. headlamps (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/information-retrofitting-h-i-d-headlamps-39755/)

antichrist 04-08-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 390699)
Nevermind what whoever it was on the phone you spoke with said, as the FMVSS is currently written (or at least when it was written last year when I had to last deal with this, did it change last year), the new pairing will still meet FMVSS 108 guidelines, making the new headlight assembly legal for US highways.

Ok, I'll ignore the people at the NHTSA who actually wrote the interpretation. Obviously you know better than they do what's legal and what isn't.

pinkytoe69 04-08-2013 02:39 PM

Legality aside, I don't see what the big deal is with putting hid projectors in the 03-04 housing.

It is just flat clear plastic like any other hid housing. I can't see why that would cause unwanted dispersion.

Racer X 04-09-2013 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by antichrist (Post 390762)
Ok, I'll ignore the people at the NHTSA who actually wrote the interpretation. Obviously you know better than they do what's legal and what isn't.

Actually, the judges (two separate hearings) I argued this in front of knew better.

*edit*
Mis-remembered... two tickets, one hearing.

Racer X 04-09-2013 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69 (Post 390780)
Legality aside, I don't see what the big deal is with putting hid projectors in the 03-04 housing.

It is just flat clear plastic like any other hid housing. I can't see why that would cause unwanted dispersion.

There isn't any big deal, which is why it's probably the best way to retrofit to HID's and not blind everyone else on the road.

fishEH 04-09-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 390921)
Actually, the judges (two separate hearings) I argued this in front of knew better.

Why did you have to argue it in front of judges is as better question?

antichrist 04-09-2013 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 390937)

And what court were they in and what docket number(s) are they so people interested in the case specifics and the rulings can read them?

Racer X 04-09-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by antichrist (Post 390955)
And what court were they in and what docket number(s) are they so people interested in the case specifics and the rulings can read them?

I'm out of the country until August, I'll try to remember to look for the info when I get back to the states.

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 390937)

Police officer saw it wasn't stock and "didn't give two ****s what I thought I read". And some other stuff about him knowing the law better than some punk, blah blah blah.

He was one of those guys, both times I ran into him. Real charmer.

fishEH 04-09-2013 03:11 PM

My point was, how much time off work and money did it cost you to fight the tickets? At some point the cost outweighs the benefit, whether you're right it not.

pinkytoe69 04-09-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 391065)
At some point the cost outweighs the benefit, whether you're right it not.

As someone whose vehicle can smell illegally skunky from time to time, I attest to this train of thought.

Racer X 04-09-2013 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 391065)
My point was, how much time off work and money did it cost you to fight the tickets? At some point the cost outweighs the benefit, whether you're right it not.

It was a matter of principle, both his misinterpretation, and his ****ty attitude. But I do see your point, a day off of work, plus gas and mileage often does far outweigh the cost of the fine. Or the risk of being caught riding dirty because your headlights are a little bright. However you roll...

In my case, I had to take one day off, both tickets were addressed in the same hearing since I entered my plea on both at the same time (plea by mail).

*edit*
And yes, I definitely misspoke earlier... it was one hearing, my bad.