Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Modifications (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/)
-   -   Just bought a 2004 Disco II : Need help with mods (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/just-bought-2004-disco-ii-need-help-mods-93339/)

Apollon 02-04-2019 07:15 PM

Just bought a 2004 Disco II : Need help with mods

Hello. I just bought a 2004 Disco II, I am looking for advice, comments, or recommendations on these mods I would like to do to it:

1) I want to add a rack & ladder. I had always thought about Voyager but they are a month out and I have read negative comments about service and quality. Any help with Brand ?
2) I plan on adding a 2" Old Man Emu lift
3) I'd like to add 4 lights on the rack in the front, 2 on the bumper, and 2 on the rear of the rack
4) Larger tires for 18' rims suitable for lift. size & brand help ?
5) Need to replace factory head unit with something really up tp date with a large screen and preferably apple car play
6) Would love to have the headlights be brighter like our other LRs (we have a 2011 LR4, and a 2017 Evoque convertible)
7) I like the wrap around brush bar front bumper from Rovers North
8) Updated Key fob ? Or at least an additional one

This is a good start. all help is appreciated.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...89beff2e5c.jpg

stillruns 02-04-2019 09:20 PM

I’m the wrong person to ask because I would leave it bone stock. Always liked the Storm Trooper white D2’s. So, my only advice would be to lose the 18 inch wheels and replace with 16 inch wheels. Better tire options for off roading and lifting. Great looking truck, post pics of the build!

Evoque convertible:eek: :D

ArmyRover 02-04-2019 09:25 PM

Cheaper options for tires on 16 with a bit more sidewall, but 18's have really caught up with options.

A lot of the mods really depend on what you are planning to do with it

Best4x4 02-05-2019 08:52 PM

275/65R18's are a really good size with a 2.5inch to 3inch lift. I run that size tire on my 99 D2 and I've been very happy with it. Also those 18inch Comet wheels look really nice with an aggressive sidewall tire like a BFG KO2, or Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have a Voyager Roof Rack and I find the finish very good along with the quality of the rack. IMHO they're worth the wait. Unless you modify the stock headlight housing I'd just slap in some PIAA bulbs or IPF bulbs. If you want protection along with an off road bumper (stock bumpers on D2's are like egg shells) I'd go with a TF low profile bumper, ARB, or Tactical Rover bumper (reminds me of the SafariGard stuff from back in the day).

I tried for a few years to grab a white D2 with a black interior or the Tundra interior and I finally gave up. I'm happy with my Kalahari though!

Dave03S 02-05-2019 10:55 PM

Sweet looking alloy overflow tank! I would keep those 18's. The tire size issue is old news like the Death VIN. Bigger tires yes. 2" lift at most. I have a mix of spring and shock brands, the TF shocks are the best ride wise I've had in 190,000 miles worth of every other brand. TF steering damper will make a noticeable improvement as well. I have the 10 ply Michelin, see signature, which would look way better with 18 inch wheels... With a 16 inch wheel I have twice the sidewall as you currently have, an 18" would be a bit more proportional.

Apollon 02-06-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dave03S (Post 679386)
Sweet looking alloy overflow tank! I would keep those 18's. The tire size issue is old news like the Death VIN. Bigger tires yes. 2" lift at most. I have a mix of spring and shock brands, the TF shocks are the best ride wise I've had in 190,000 miles worth of every other brand. TF steering damper will make a noticeable improvement as well. I have the 10 ply Michelin, see signature, which would look way better with 18 inch wheels... With a 16 inch wheel I have twice the sidewall as you currently have, an 18" would be a bit more proportional.

Doing a 2" OME Lift for sure and have decided on the NItto Ridge Grapplers for sure. Now to decide on Size. I'd like to stay in the 31.5" - 32" size and I am a fan of the 11.5"-12" width. I am going to have the wheels powder coated black like our other Rovers. I am curious if a 32" tire will fit on a stock D2 until i get the lift done. Not to drive long just for logistics. If I drive the car there with the new tires in the back, I can have them powder coat the rims and then put the new tires on and balance them. They do that for free when you powder coat wheels. But i won't have my lift yet. My other option is to do the lift first and look silly for a few days before I can get the wheels black and tires mounted. Any input on pre-lift fit ?

ArmyRover 02-06-2019 10:33 AM

32 will rub a bit most likely.

Pull it in the garage, pop it up on jack stands pull the wheels drop them off do the lift pick up tires, install and roll out

stillruns 02-06-2019 05:49 PM

Steelies for the win!!

browningv308 02-08-2019 06:06 AM

If you put a rack on the top it won't fit your garage, Good find, that thing is perfect

Apollon 02-08-2019 06:16 AM

We have a pretty high garage door. Any idea of measurements with a rack ? Looking at the Voyager standard or low profile