Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Let’s talk lockers Arb/Ashcroft vs. KAM vs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Let’s talk lockers Arb/Ashcroft vs. KAM vs...

I’m about to pull the trigger on some lockers. I’m hoping some can weigh in with their opinions. I’m tired of the horrible traction control system on my Discovery 2, electronically it functions but my driving turrain has surpassed this systems abilities. I’m ready to upgrade to hang with the big boys.

Question is, Detroit (not true track), Air, or electronic.

Approx pros/cons are as follows:

Detroit ~$600 ($1200 for the pair, with a true track up front)
pros- cost, simplicity
cons- increased tire wear, non selectable(which is a major con for me considering I wold like the ability to only use lockers in sticky situations), can only be used in the rear (coupled with a true track up front, which I’ve whitnessed is not so great, and can act like an open in certain cases)

ARB/Ashcroft ~$850 to $950 ($1700 for the pair)
pros- selectable, can be used front and rear
cons- must run a compressor (which I don’t necessarily want, it adds weight, and the small ARB unit CANNOT be used to fill tires. Small arb compressor ~$175, medium compressor ~$275 (which can be used for tires)

KAM e-locker~$1250 ($2500 for the pair)
Pros-same as ARB
Cons-cost

Any input is appreciated, also someone with possible real world experience with the ARB or other locker setups.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Detroit is a mechanical locker. It’s reliable but its always working so when you don’t need a locker or don’t want a locker (yes that can happen) its there doing its thing.

ARB/Ashcroft both are excellent units that are reliable, serviceable and parts are available through any ARB or Ashcroft vendor.

KAM I didn’t realize was still in business.

For me if money is a issue the Detroit and Tru-Trac combo is tried and true. Great value for the money

ARB or Ashcroft personal preference both are extremely good products.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Detroit is a mechanical locker. It’s reliable but its always working so when you don’t need a locker or don’t want a locker (yes that can happen) its there doing its thing.

ARB/Ashcroft both are excellent units that are reliable, serviceable and parts are available through any ARB or Ashcroft vendor.

KAM I didn’t realize was still in business.

For me if money is a issue the Detroit and Tru-Trac combo is tried and true. Great value for the money

ARB or Ashcroft personal preference both are extremely good products.
Awesome response, with the detroit/ true track lack of selectable engagement is a definite drawback, with the upside being the price (about $1200 bucks said and done).
KAM is definitely still in business, however, replacement parts availability coupled with the price tag is causing me to lean toward the ARB/Ashcroft (about $1650 bucks + the $175 compressor = $1825) so about a $625 price difference to have a real locker up front and selectable engagement. For that price you are getting a locker-only compressor which cant fill tires. For tire filling you need to step it up to the $275 ARB compressor + the $75 dollar hose kit. Ive already looked into hacking a harbor freight/ viair 400C compressor to operate the lockers. But the complexity and price associated with air lockers can add up quick.

With the Detroit/ true track combo, is it drivetrain-safe to run without CDL en engaged? This is a big factor for me, as it would still give some form of adjustment. For example I currently reserve the center diff lock for the more difficult sections, and keep it off as much as i can. This offers an extra fun factor and keeps things challenging when i go out with buddies with less off-road worthy/ newer trucks.

Last edited by Dsport; 02-19-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It's fine to run with the center diff open with that set up. Only way to run it on the road. Off road engage as needed

Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Everything I've heard is that Detroit for Land Rover is no longer available .

Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fishEH
Everything I've heard is that Detroit for Land Rover is no longer available .
Interesting you say this, Lucky8 told me the same thing. So I emailed Eaton directly and they stated the Detroit was “backordered”. With an ETA of “a month or so”. But why something like this would be backorderd is beyond me, unless their production is very limited and some recent buyers deplete current stock. It’s not like Eaton is cranking these things out by the thousands (for landrovers atleast). Castings probably come from China and due to Chinese New Year a lot of these suppliers are trying to catch up with orders at the moment. Eaton’s automotive performance division’s phone number is (800)328-3850
I’ll give them a call on Monday and see if I can get a more specific ETA.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsport
I’m about to pull the trigger on some lockers. I’m hoping some can weigh in with their opinions. I’m tired of the horrible traction control system on my Discovery 2, electronically it functions but my driving turrain has surpassed this systems abilities. I’m ready to upgrade to hang with the big boys.

Question is, Detroit (not true track), Air, or electronic.

Approx pros/cons are as follows:

Detroit ~$600 ($1200 for the pair, with a true track up front)
pros- cost, simplicity
cons- increased tire wear, non selectable(which is a major con for me considering I wold like the ability to only use lockers in sticky situations), can only be used in the rear (coupled with a true track up front, which I’ve whitnessed is not so great, and can act like an open in certain cases)

ARB/Ashcroft ~$850 to $950 ($1700 for the pair)
pros- selectable, can be used front and rear
cons- must run a compressor (which I don’t necessarily want, it adds weight, and the small ARB unit CANNOT be used to fill tires. Small arb compressor ~$175, medium compressor ~$275 (which can be used for tires)

KAM e-locker~$1250 ($2500 for the pair)
Pros-same as ARB
Cons-cost

Any input is appreciated, also someone with possible real world experience with the ARB or other locker setups.

Air locking Ashcrofts all day and all night!!! Best bang for your buck and it's on when you tell it unlike the Detroit, I was looking at the Electric KAM DIL(Drop In Locker) but it's +$300 on an Ashcroft as is the air locking ARB.

KAM were bought out by AllMakes 4x4 and pretty much do everything they did once before.

I do wish that the likes of Eaton would bring home the machining & engineering to make it a proud US product once again.

What about your ring and pinions? going HD +ratio swap? What about pegged casings?

Old 02-23-2019, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nigelw
Air locking Ashcrofts all day and all night!!! Best bang for your buck and it's on when you tell it unlike the Detroit, I was looking at the Electric KAM DIL(Drop In Locker) but it's +$300 on an Ashcroft as is the air locking ARB.

KAM were bought out by AllMakes 4x4 and pretty much do everything they did once before.

I do wish that the likes of Eaton would bring home the machining & engineering to make it a proud US product once again.

What about your ring and pinions? going HD +ratio swap? What about pegged casings?
Everything you mentioned is good. I’ll probably play on the dangerous side and do 35”s, 4.11s + lockers front and rear. Even for an Ashcroft setup your sill looking at $2500 for just for parts alone. If I stayed with the 33”s I’d probably stick with stock gearing as it will be less likely to break stuff, and way easier to swap the diffs in (because the pinion wouldn’t need to be shimmed). We’ll see what Eaton says, I’m kinda hoping the Detroit is discontinued because it would push me to spend the money on ashcrofts. Otherwise I will be tempted to cheap out and go Detroit rear, rely on traction control front, and call it a day.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Entirely dependent on the type of riding you prefer & type of driver you are.
FWIW - Tech support and warrantee from Arb is worth the extra scratch. But you’ll see for yourself

Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

On my old 98 I had Ashcroft air lockers with Ashcroft 4.12 gearing and 315/75/16 BFG KM2's. It was a great setup. That setup is actually closer to factory than stock gearing with 32's. I had pneumatic switches(No solenoid to fail) run off a small 1/4 gallon tank. When I get to building my 94 that setup is going back in.