Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Modifications (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/)
-   -   Lighting for roof rack (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/lighting-roof-rack-88315/)

Davis31052 02-20-2018 09:46 AM

Lighting for roof rack

So, I just picked up an SD rack for my D2 and I'm looking at lights for the front. I'm thinking some Hellas in keeping with the old school look. What are you running on yours?
Post up some pics so we can see.

T-rex 02-24-2018 12:27 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...880bb38694.jpg

LED Light Bar. Love the thing. I've used it extensively after dark on dirt roads. The only problem with mounting it high is it lights up the potholes so well it's hard to tell how deep they are while you're approaching them.

Detoured Discovey 02-24-2018 02:47 PM

I run a 40" LED as well.....Doesn't get any better unless it's high noon.

Sean Maginness 02-25-2018 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I run a 50" single LED bar on the rack and a smaller one on the front bar. Front is relay with the high beams and rack is switched on the dash. Can't imagine needing more light.

ArmyRover 02-25-2018 09:48 PM

I have been trying to make the same decision but will probably go with the 50" bar on the LR3

Davis31052 03-08-2018 12:04 PM

I'm undecided between 4-6 inch round Hellas and a double row light bar for my SD rack.

alpinacsi 03-08-2018 12:30 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...001b10492.jpeg

I am running the original equipment on the bumper and PIAA on the rack. May switch back to OE on the rack if I can find replacements at reasonable cost.

Sixpack577 03-08-2018 12:33 PM

Go with the led light bar.
They are very, very bright.
A friend of mine has a 9" light bar on the handlebars of his Raptor 700.
Trail riding, if you are in front or behind him, you can turn your lights off, as you literally don't need them...and that's a 9" light bar!
My friend's have bigger ones on their trucks as well.
Better than their high beam head lights.

nathanb 09-21-2018 10:19 AM

They just make glare that reflects back into your eyes and makes it harder to see everything not lit up and then you need them brighter. It's insidious. Less is more.
The headlights are already engineered for an acceptable beam pattern that won't often blind other drivers on road. You could add very narrow beams for high speed driving on empty highways, but it would be anti-thematic to older Land Rovers with oversize tires which it would be ill-advised to drive at over 80 mph. Offroad, older Land Rovers are also not like trophy trucks or desert racers. On slow trails, a very low level of luminosity with a wide flood beam is going to illuminate the area immediately around the vehicle without creating so much glare that the driver is blinded to more distant points of reference.
LED's are typically narrow-beam and most often not able to be dimmed. They also tend to emit shorter wavelength light that is worse for glare.
I know my ideas don't sell imported truck accessories, but tell me any other error I've made.

NewToTheTwo 10-25-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nathanb (Post 662897)
They just make glare that reflects back into your eyes and makes it harder to see everything not lit up and then you need them brighter. It's insidious. Less is more.
The headlights are already engineered for an acceptable beam pattern that won't often blind other drivers on road. You could add very narrow beams for high speed driving on empty highways, but it would be anti-thematic to older Land Rovers with oversize tires which it would be ill-advised to drive at over 80 mph. Offroad, older Land Rovers are also not like trophy trucks or desert racers. On slow trails, a very low level of luminosity with a wide flood beam is going to illuminate the area immediately around the vehicle without creating so much glare that the driver is blinded to more distant points of reference.
LED's are typically narrow-beam and most often not able to be dimmed. They also tend to emit shorter wavelength light that is worse for glare.
I know my ideas don't sell imported truck accessories, but tell me any other error I've made.

So this thread isnt too old to comment on :)

I have to agree - I've used LED in the garage, fluorescent, halogen etc and have always wondered why you'd ever put an LED on a car/truck.
I need throw and width from my truck lights. Or so I'd assume as I'm still shopping for my D2 but....
When I see these light bars on-coming, its f'cking annoying."Bright" as hell but that seems to be it.
I want to be able to see far and wide not bright and close up.

Round HID, halogen etc seem to much more fit the idea of the sort of light I'd want on a trail, in the dark woods etc.......

Am I wrong about all of this?
Have one of you used both side by side?

I also dont want LED light bars because every freaking redneck with a truck has one.

Rounds just have a style I'd more associate with a Discovery than a bar but thats just me.......