Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Radical headliner and interior alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

How about using the aluminum with cross members and get a local cnc shop to cut out the opening for the sunroofs. Make it a 2 or 2 piece design and they can cut the molle style holes also. That's way it can be easily removable and you can still use that reflective matting on the roof to help the heat and your rear ac will still cool the back and you can have it coated or painted whatever color you like and use self tapping metal screws so you still will have access to get to stuff if you need it. Most of them have a way to measure properly with lasers so everything would be a good fit.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a good idea. Aluminum may be a better option than plastic. Then fit the sunroof cutouts with rubber black edge trim. I need to play around and experiment whether the roof will need to be contoured like the original headliner, or would flat(ish) work. Maybe flat + curved sides.

Cross members are also a good idea. I ordered a bunch of various bits of aluminum (90 degree angle, square tube, u-channel, sheets, etc) so I can mess around.

Or expanded metal. Not sure yet if I want the roof solid or holed.

Unlimited possibilities!

Old 12-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Looks like the old post tabs for the interior trim can be used to mount a piec of angle and then do a cross member that way it's not hanging too low on you and a machine shop should be able to get that bend correctly for you also. I'm enjoying keeping track and making me thinking about doing the same. I might leave the lower trim in the back though just for astetic purposes and to keep it a little factory but I like the headliner idea. I would try to get it close to the roofline as possible so the reflective material wouldn't fall far. That or mask everything off and use undercoating on it to help shield some of the heat.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm jealous . This looks like fun .

Old 12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench

I know. U see somebody doing something you were debating and get jealous as hell. That's why I'm watching it like a hawk. I wanna see the finished product. I think it will look great and inspire a lot of others. I like the molle idea so you can do away with the rear ac registers but still cool the rear compartment.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes, I was eyeing those side mounts too. Some rivet nuts should do the trick.

I'll be working on the rear door table and rear side panels + electrical project I have in the works first. Oh and I almost forgot, the weather is decent today so I think its time to put the engine back in!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive tore all the headliner out, plus stripped 85-90% of all the plastic. Theres no carpeting, but from this, I might decide to remove the front sunroof and cover with metal.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Jeff,
was seeing how the project was coming along. I'm almost done with my engine and fixing to turn to the interior. Was seizing if you had any pictures of the progress so far. I'm with you on the rear door. I have the factory sub and am removing it am gonna replace with the standard bahama beige without pocket for the time being.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Pro Wrench

No updates yet. I suspect I will be driving without a headliner altogether for a month or more. Still wrapping up the engine rebuild and electrical project.

Pretty sure I won't be doing a solid aluminum headliner, however. I think it would be too tin-can like, look crummy, and hard to mold to the contour of the original headliner. I'm thinking something simple like dynamat+reflectix and black metal slats. Cross members around each sunroof, and aluminum channel for the sides.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok still not a bad idea though

Quick Reply: Radical headliner and interior alternatives