New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 Sport SE , HSE , LUXURY .. Which should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:59 PM

LandRoverForums Town Crier

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 Sport SE , HSE , LUXURY .. Which should I get?

I'm considering getting myself a Disco 5, but I can't seem to decide which model to go with. I have a tendency to go for the standard, lowest cost model when buying a car, only to wish I had certain features that only came with higher tier models. But I don't want to get a bunch of features that I won't be using either..

I've visited the Land Rover website to compare the models, as well as chatted with a dealer near my area, however I would like some real life advice from those who have driven/currently own the Disco 5.

Which model do you guys recommend and why? And what features do you like having for that model?

Last edited by CJ455; 07-26-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Best advice I can give is get those options that you need to meet your life, if you generally keep them forever.

If you are someone that gets a car keeps it for 3-5 years than be sure to find out what the popular option packs are for the resale end of it when you are ready to move on.

The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyRover:
CJ455 (07-27-2018), IB Cheryl (07-27-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a lot of options between the three models. When I was making the consideration the HSE was really the baseline for me seeing as it has the keyless entry and LED lights. I test drove a SE, and ended up purchasing a HSE Luxury, they are dramatically different experiences. I would just sit in them and you can see what works best for you. As far as general add-ons.

1. Drive Package / Pro - I have the regular package and find the speed limit detector and blindside monitors assist in driving but aren't a must. Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist I can not attest to.
2. Luxury Seats - Pretty sure everyone agrees if you can afford it, do it. The seat cooling is amazing.
3. Park Assist - Haven't gotten this to work yet, haven't really tried hard. Not a big selling point for me.
4. 360 Vision - Love this and all the cameras, easy parking.
5. HUD - I wouldn't have paid for this normally, but I would now. With the speed limit drive system, I wonder how I ever looked at the dash to determine my speed. Turn by turn countdown in your vision is very helpful.

Those are probably the features I thought I would be indifferent to but ended up enjoying.

The following users liked this post:
CJ455 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks a bunch. I really like the 360 Vision and the Drive Package / Pro add-ons. I live in a very dense area where traffic and parking are a constant struggle. I agree with the suggestion of seeing what I need in the next few years as well as going with my instinct on what model is right for me... I'm thinking that it is probably time for me to get a keeper.

Leaning towards the HSE as of now. Either that, or the HSE Luxury.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HSE was the baseline for me as well. Keyless entry, LEDs, and the bigger screen were a must. It really comes down to what you are looking to spend and if you are willing to order one versus buying one on the lot. I didn't have the patience to wait, so I knew I was going to have to give/take a few options to find the right car. Ended up going for an HSE and am happy with it (21's, black pack, drive pack, intelligent seat fold, vision assist, etc). I ended up with some options I wouldn't have otherwise configured (intelligent seat fold, 4 zone climate, center console cooler, etc) but it is what it is. The center console cooler is handy on longer drives; the other two are wasted on me. I don't have the upgraded seats, though I have sat in them and they are nicer, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

A few other recommendations: If you plan on doing any off-roading, the 20's would be a better choice. No off road tire options for 21's yet. Tow package and roof rails are good to get from the factory, as both can be costly to add down the road. I have the roof rails and wish I had gotten the tow package (just in case).

Good luck to you. I had an LR4 before and it's a big step up.

CJ455 (09-11-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

See that's the problem with a guy like me. Diesel engine, full size spare and rear locking differential. The rest can be what ever it comes with standard.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Keyless entry and LEDs are a must for me as well. I am normally the type of person that believes simple is best, but in terms of a Land Rover that I plan on keeping for as long as possible, I'm sure some cool features that I may end up not using all the time wouldn't hurt.

Thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions

Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I started with the SE build and no premium sound or windsor available with only the fixed pano killed that but I went ahead and loaded it up with everything else we wanted and it was right at $70,000 missing stuff we wanted/needed. The HSE 5 seater with 20s since we actually go offroad was really all we needed. Loaded up with everything else we wanted, though, the HSE was $72800 and the interior colors were limiting for the wife [they were fine for me]. I then thought solely about resale and built the HSE Lux, Drive, Vision Assist, Full Size Spare, Hitch, Load cover and net, added the 360 even though I'm not sure it is necessary with the Vision Package [and neither is my salesman] but that's only a $285 adder and was $73415. I figured for $600, that was worth it. You get a number of other cool niceties along for the ride too.

If you don't want or need a lot of options, the SE is a great value. If you do, I think I'd go straight to the Lux.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

My wife needed 7 seats, and wanted the electric rear folding seat feature. I wanted the 2spd transfer box, locking diff, full size spare. With a few other options added there was no difference between the HSE and HSE Lux pricing. We normally keep our vehicles 10 years, and this is an expensive luxury vehicle, so I would hate to go to the trouble not to get all the things we want. As the total cost of ownership will include fuel, maintenance, tires, insurance, which adds up on a vehicle like this. If it was a Toyota or Honda (or even the old Defender) the conversation would be different, but these are expensive luxury vehicles at heart and you may as well check a few perks.

I went through this process with a few of the expensive options, but now leaning to just check the boxes and get what we want as the overall true cost increase is going to be minimal.

CJ455 (09-11-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was thinking SE but ended up with HSE Lux. Wanted a diesel for towing (AWESOME!) so had to step up to at least an HSE. Also wanted air suspension and 3rd row. You can now get the diesel on the SE. After 11,000 miles:
Options I love: Diesel, Drive Pro (for the Adaptive Cruise), Park Assist, Surround Camera System, Tow Package
Options I wish I had: 4-zone climate control
Options not worth it: Advanced Tow Assist

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by gregj:
andries (08-08-2018), CJ455 (09-11-2018)

Quick Reply: 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 Sport SE , HSE , LUXURY .. Which should I get?