Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Disco V not locking

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:21 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020 Disco V not locking

My disco 5 started exhibiting a strange behavior yesterday. When I press the key fob twice to lock it I’m given the two short beep response that indicates a door is ajar. I have gone around and checked all the doors including the moon roof and rear cargo door. Nothing is left open. I have successfully gotten it to lock once but then after a short period of time the alarm triggers.

As another, possibly related, fact is I have noticed when I open the rear gate lately it’ll fully open but when it gets completely open I hear the “beep beep beep” that indicates the door is stuck/opening has been impeded.

I’m prepared to take it to the dealership, but I would prefer to try to do some troubleshooting or even repair myself. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Old 06-24-2023, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

any chance you have left your other key inside the vehicle?

Old 06-24-2023, 10:12 PM
Drifting

I wish that was the answer, but no. The other fob is nowhere near the vehicle.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:46 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through a few months back. Dealer replaced the latch on drivers side. Check the door latches. They’re little round tabs on the door side once you open it. You insert the key and it locks the door manually. If they can’t move or lock, the system won’t be able to lock and alarm.

Can try a quick spray of wd40 or similar if one is sticking.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OutOfRangeRover
Went through a few months back. Dealer replaced the latch on drivers side. Check the door latches. They’re little round tabs on the door side once you open it. You insert the key and it locks the door manually. If they can’t move or lock, the system won’t be able to lock and alarm.
This might be a solution. Do you have a picture of what you are describing? Also how much should I be able to turn it? I think I found what you are describing. I’m about to fit the key in about 0.5” (1.25cm), and turn it about a 1/4 turn before it stops. That is true with all four doors.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:53 AM
Drifting

After some further testing I am beginning to believe it’s a sensor that is the issue. The doors lock just fine when I press the FOB once. It’s when I try to press twice to get the mirrors to fold and the alarm to set that the problem arises. Just to be safe I put WD40 in all the door latches. That does not appear to have changed the symptoms at all.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by disco5-wg
After some further testing I am beginning to believe it’s a sensor that is the issue. The doors lock just fine when I press the FOB once. It’s when I try to press twice to get the mirrors to fold and the alarm to set that the problem arises. Just to be safe I put WD40 in all the door latches. That does not appear to have changed the symptoms at all.

Sounds like one of the door latch assemblies has failed. I've replaced all of mine. Three different failure modes... Not locking, not sensing a good lock and one latch failure where the door wouldn't latch shut at all. Not a hard job to replace, specially if you've done a couple.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RyanLR3
Sounds like one of the door latch assemblies has failed. I've replaced all of mine. Three different failure modes... Not locking, not sensing a good lock and one latch failure where the door wouldn't latch shut at all. Not a hard job to replace, specially if you've done a couple.
Any reference material you found particularly helpful?

Old 06-25-2023, 01:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by disco5-wg
Any reference material you found particularly helpful?
No I kinda just figured it out. I posted some pictures as to where the screws are on the rear panel. Front is about the same.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/rear-door-card-removal-install-instructions-108356/

The following users liked this post:
disco5-wg (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Mudding

Try locking your doors, walk away and set the key fob down somewhere away from the vehicle far enough where it's not sensed. Go around try opening the doors. The one that isn't locked and opens is your problem latch assembly.

Quick Reply: 2020 Disco V not locking