Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Adaptive Dynamics? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/adaptive-dynamics-95533/)

Psymac 07-05-2019 01:07 PM

Adaptive Dynamics?

Seen that both the Range Rover and now the Discovery Sport feature list on the brochures are noting Adaptive Dynamics driving/suspension feature, but don't see this for the Discovery. However, I do see it mentioned in my Discovery manual as kind of an aside feature, is this the same system? Could be wrong, but I thought Adaptive Dynamics was automatically included with air suspension option.

David Hirshberg 07-05-2019 03:59 PM

Not sure if its the same thing or not? I thought the Dynamic package had more to do with Steering and suspension changes that the user can select more like a sport mode?

andries 07-06-2019 12:17 AM

The manual just states it adjust the suspension. The only adjustment would be ride height, as I didn’t see electrical connections to the shocks to adjust dampening.

The gearbox has Sport mode, which seems to adjust shiftpoints, not sure about throttle response.

abran 07-10-2019 02:43 PM

hydraulic sway bar?

Equilibrium 07-19-2019 04:57 AM

It's the same system as the RRS/FFRR, but without the switchable option. i.e. it is always on, whereas you can switch it off in the RRS.

It is adaptive damping, does not affect the air 'springs' but affects the dampers that they connect to.

From the UK MY19/MY20 brochure:

ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS Adaptive Dynamics makes the miles go by virtually unnoticed. The system monitors vehicle movements up to 500 times a second, reacting to driver or road inputs almost instantaneously to give greater control and minimise body movement ensuring a composed, flat ride. The system even senses off-road conditions, and optimises damping accordingly so driver and passengers arrive at their destination refreshed and relaxed. Available as an option on Sd6 HSE and HSE Luxury.

andries 07-19-2019 11:04 AM

I need to crawl in underneath and check again, but didn't notice and electrical connections to the shocks on the HSE Lux. Also didn't see any hydraulics on the swaybars, but didn't look in depth.

It may be my imagination, but some days it does feel firmer in ride than other (even at the same tire pressure).

Perhaps time for someone to take some picture of the suspension components when a Disco is on a lift with wheels off.

Also the specs for the Disco does vary quite a bit pending on region where it is sold, i.e. the 2019 HSE Lux in the US didn't even have the option for "adaptive lights" to light up corners when turning.

canon_mutant 07-19-2019 11:05 PM

Yeah, just got through posting "no complaints/problems" so far on another thread and forgot about the road following lights not being there?

That is a pisser as, especially when we get up in the twisties with all the deer we have here in Kansas, those road following lights are/can be literally life saving.

But, we did get the configurable mood lighting . . . ;)

Equilibrium 07-20-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by andries (Post 697079)
I need to crawl in underneath and check again, but didn't notice and electrical connections to the shocks on the HSE Lux. Also didn't see any hydraulics on the swaybars, but didn't look in depth.

It may be my imagination, but some days it does feel firmer in ride than other (even at the same tire pressure).

Perhaps time for someone to take some picture of the suspension components when a Disco is on a lift with wheels off.

Also the specs for the Disco does vary quite a bit pending on region where it is sold, i.e. the 2019 HSE Lux in the US didn't even have the option for "adaptive lights" to light up corners when turning.

In the UK, Adaptive Dynamics is an option - only since MY19 and quite rare.

andries 07-24-2019 06:33 PM

Looking at my build sheet and the LR USA site it seems Adaptive Dynamics was not offered on the D5. The Velar page lists it, and it is basically adjusting the dampening on the shocks. I would guess looking for an electrical connection to the shocks would be a good indication that it was fitted. I don't recall it on my 2019 HSE Lux, and also don't recall it being an option on offer when we ordered (nor is it on the build sheet for the D5).

PurpleRain 07-26-2019 01:19 PM

Is this something offered on the RR or the RRS? Local shop foreman told me the d5 is built on the RR platform and "the reason it feels so boaty" in his words.