New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running on Nitto Recon Grappler A/T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone running on Nitto Recon Grappler A/T?

Hi all,
A couple months in with my '22 and loving it! I'm now looking to swap out my stock Pirelli's for something a bit more capable off road (nothing crazy). I've read some really good reviews on Nitto's new Recon Grapplers and wondering if anyone here has any experience with them?

Based on what I have read on this forum, it sounds like I can go with 275/55/20 with no mods required / no rubbing. And it also appears this size will fit on the OEM 20" wheels. (please correct if I'm wrong on any of this)

Regarding the spare, based on some other posts, it sounds like this size should fit underneath (though may just throw on roof rack instead when taking off road), but wondering if this size tire will fit on the spare wheel or if I'll need a new wheel (assuming it won't fit).

Thanks for the help and all the great info on this forum!

Cheers

Old 12-17-2021, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I've run a few sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my LR3 and was very happy with them. Very sturdy tire, never a flat, great off road and long tread life.
They did get a bit noisy on road in their last 10K miles of treadlife.

You should not have any trouble fitting Recon Grapplers on your 20 inch wheels (spare included unless the spare is a different wheel type than the other 4, if so, I don't know).
The problem with the spare is not the fit of the tire on the wheel. It's the fit of the tire into the underneath storage area. It's a snug fit with the 275/55/20 tires.
I haven't tried the fit with the Recon Grappler but it should be fine.
You could even test fit one underneath without even installing it on a wheel.
But a reputable tire shop should be willing to let you try one for fit.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just FYI, the 275/55/20 Nitto Dura-grapplers were just enough bigger than other tires that they would not go on ours. Had to return them. You might want to make sure before you buy the Recons.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:38 AM
4wd Low

Thanks so much for your quick reply! And great points to consider on the spare. Right now it's just the stock spare wheel, so I'll likely need to purchase a new wheel for the full size spare.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:44 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Just FYI, the 275/55/20 Nitto Dura-grapplers were just enough bigger than other tires that they would not go on ours. Had to return them. You might want to make sure before you buy the Recons.
Thanks! Based on this info I did some additional research on the specs for the various tires mentioned around here. Appears the Nitto's do run a bit wider than the others. I'm not sure but perhaps that's the reason for the rub? The Dura Grapplers were actually a bit wider than the Recon's however, so if you were just missing on the Grapplers, maybe the Recon's will be ok? I'll need to look into it further. The good thing is there still appears to be some very good options that have been confirmed to work.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:04 PM
4wd Low
Default Toyo Open Country A/T III

It is done. So I ended up going with the Toyo Open Country A/T III 275/55R20. So far I'm very happy with them. No rubbing at all. Good noise level for an AT. And great traction in the snow (based on the limited snow opportunities thus far).

The following users liked this post:
bkjecu94 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks good. Were you able to fit the spare underneath?
Are you in Colorado?

Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Looks good. Were you able to fit the spare underneath?
Are you in Colorado?
Thanks! Unfortunately not in CO -- in NY and just spending some time up in Lake Placid area.

I have not yet tackled the spare tire as I need to first start the search for a full size spare wheel. I know there are a number of threads on the topic so just starting to look into that.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

If you do not care if the spare wheel matches, there are plenty of options on eBay. I got a silver RR Sport wheel for $160 with free shipping. It does the job and fits underneath with a Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 275/55/20.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:45 PM
4wd Low

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the RR wheels. I definitely don't care about matching. I found the following for $179. Is this what you have?

20'' LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 14-17 OEM Factory Original Wheel Rim 72252A
MANUFACTURE SPECS: Diameter X Width:20x8.5 Number of lug nuts holes:5 lug Bolt Pattern:120mm Manufacture Part Number(MPN):LR044848, DK621007DB

Quick Reply: Anyone running on Nitto Recon Grappler A/T?