Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Car Play....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Apple Car Play....

I gotta say, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the Apple Play software. I had it installed last week and I don't think I will even use it. It is slow, unresponsive and seems to jam up frequently, and I have to use the phone to navigate around. Not impressed at all. So glad I didn't pay $400 for it.
Anyone agree? Or disagree? I would like to hear other views.
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I have to agree. I tried it twice. First, not a fan of having to plug it in. Second, it’s far easier to use my phone. Glad I didn’t pay either.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I mostly use mine to just show Waze maps on the big screen. Works fine that way for me, just have to get used to controls. Spotify seems to be spotty (sorry for the pun), it plays the music fine, but sometimes the libraries doesn't show on Carplay and I have to use the phone to switch.
Messages is pretty crappy, it reads and send fine, but not really good to manage a lot of them.

Haven't tried too much else. But for now, having Waze as navigation is worth it to me. Mine is responsive, it is a 2019 on the latest SW and iOS12 on a iPhone X. Not sure if the head units are different from 2017/2018.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Waze use your car gps antenna or the phones when you run it on carplay?
I am going in for an update to get Carplay on my 2018 but right now I have the LR nav on my screen and waze running on my phone. I love waze for traffic , correct ETA, notices about police and things in the road but sometimes it lags a bit on my actual location, especially in the city with a few turns in a row. The car nav is better for that.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

All the apps like Waze run off your phone. In fact when mine gets stuck and I try and back out I have to use my phone to close the apps.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth it for me on longer drives. Spotify and Waze are nice to have on the touch screen. I wish there was a way to dim the screen at night without dimming all of the interior lights. I think there was a way to do this before the update, but I can't seem to find it now.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No a big fan either. Apple Play works great in a rental car. The infotainment in the Discovery is much nicer and has much more functionality.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by disco5fl
Worth it for me on longer drives. Spotify and Waze are nice to have on the touch screen. I wish there was a way to dim the screen at night without dimming all of the interior lights. I think there was a way to do this before the update, but I can't seem to find it now.
Should be in your settings menu. When you press the gear symbol, the screen brightness should be one of the ones onscreen.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LR#3
No a big fan either. Apple Play works great in a rental car. The infotainment in the Discovery is much nicer and has much more functionality.
Funny you mention that. I’ve just spent 14 hours the last two days in a rental and enjoyed the CarPlay feature better than the native SW. I might be a convert, but I like the “other” aspects of LR touchscreen. Plus, I don’t want a cord hanging out in the car for it to work. If only they would get wireless working...

Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BchBum11511

Funny you mention that. I’ve just spent 14 hours the last two days in a rental and enjoyed the CarPlay feature better than the native SW. I might be a convert, but I like the “other” aspects of LR touchscreen. Plus, I don’t want a cord hanging out in the car for it to work. If only they would get wireless working...
I paid $300 to have CarPlay installed and I love it. I'm with you on the LR system...I really enjoy it as well, but do like to have Waze on the big screen for long trips. Also, the text function is better in CarPlay than through the LR systm and having SIRI available all the time is nice too (as long as SIRI is in the mood to actually provide assistance). This alone made the price worth it. I do toggle between CarPlay and the LR screens often. All in all I am very happy with pplunking down the $300 for CarPlay, although it is an inconvenience to have to plug into the USB every time I get into the car in order to have CarPlay enabled. I don't like the sight of cords hanging out and I prefer to just keep my phone tucked away in my pocket rather than having to get it out every time. A wireless connection would be awesome. 1st world problem, I know, but it's akin to no longer having to take the car key out of my pocket to run the car.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play....