Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Blowing heat at startup (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/blowing-heat-startup-94723/)

Drake Anderson 05-11-2019 12:52 PM

Blowing heat at startup

I've been running several errands this morning and noticed every time I would start up, the heater would blow about 10 seconds before the cold air would come out. Never done this before, so I'll see if it happens again. Definitely not just outside temp air, it was full on "get me out of here" heat on a 75 degree day. Any similar experiences?

andries 05-12-2019 12:03 AM

I have noticed some hot air at startup after the car has warmed up and I park it. However not crazy hot, just felt like some heat soak of the vent system.

Does it do it with recirculating on as well?

andries 05-13-2019 01:32 AM

Checked ours twice today after it was at operating temp and parked. Did not notice much hot air coming in and dropped rapidly after turning down the temp and AC on.

David Hirshberg 05-17-2019 07:38 AM

That had happened to me too. It usually happens when the temp inside the car is colder than what the ac control is set at. Like if you have the ac set at 73 degrees and the inside of the car is 70, the heat kicks on to bring the temp up. At least that’s what it seemed like to me. When you keep the dial set to low it doesn’t seem to happen.

Psymac 05-19-2019 11:39 PM

Yes, noticed exactly the same thing.Seems like the AC for some reason has a delay and the heat is on by itself until the AC kicks in. Never seen this with any other car that I’ve owned, but other things that are delayed as well with this Discovery. For example, I need a few seconds warm up before the transmission will respond to either reverse or drive in the morning.The only reasonable fix that I can think of is a software update, but I’m not holding my breath to get one from Land Rover.

ponderosajack 05-20-2019 06:10 PM

No delay on mine with drive or reverse. As soon as the knob pops up I can turn it and go.

Drake Anderson 05-20-2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Psymac (Post 690998)
I need a few seconds warm up before the transmission will respond to either reverse or drive in the morning.

You can turn the knob but don't feel the transmission "engage" for a second, right? If so, I have the same thing!

Jhartz 06-30-2019 09:08 AM

On L3s and older Jaguars it was to dry the air conditioning ducts prior to cold air coming on. I don't remember any longer, which owner's manual described it (L3s and RRS were essentially the same for A/C and heating for years). Lasted only seconds and reduces the musty/moldy smell we used to get in older air conditioning systems. Good idea and made more sense, I guess, in the colder, wetter English countryside.

TXRed 07-09-2019 07:14 PM

Ours has done this... My wife has complained once or twice. My response has been similar to what’s been said above... I tell her, “these cars have a million different computing algorithms going on... they aren’t a 1985 A/C unit just blowing air... give the car/computer time to figure out what it’s trying to accomplish, and I promise, you’ll get cold air soon enough.” In other words, be patient for a few seconds. The same logic applies to ALL the functions in her car... and even my car as well sometimes. The PCMs and control units are doing things no one ever imagined cars would be doing... just give it a few seconds.

She doesn’t really care for that response... :dunno:

Drake Anderson 07-09-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TXRed (Post 696087)
Ours has done this... My wife has complained once or twice. My response has been similar to what’s been said above... I tell her, “these cars have a million different computing algorithms going on... they aren’t a 1985 A/C unit just blowing air... give the car/computer time to figure out what it’s trying to accomplish, and I promise, you’ll get cold air soon enough.” In other words, be patient for a few seconds. The same logic applies to ALL the functions in her car... and even my car as well sometimes. The PCMs and control units are doing things no one ever imagined cars would be doing... just give it a few seconds.

She doesn’t really care for that response... :dunno:

LOL - yeah, doesn't work for me, either. I've had numerous cars with advanced electronics and none of them blast out the heater when it's 80+ degrees on startup. This is a programming issue. If it takes a second to determine what needs to happen, don't turn the fan on high.