New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

As someone who travels every week and does everything possible to secure rentals with higher end trim levels I can assure you that the carplay thing in every vehicle I've rented is definitely a work in progress. It's great and crappy at the same time, if that makes any sense. GM products, whether Chevy or Cadillac, Ford products, Volkswagen, etc. Doesn't matter, they all have a ton of issues. I now stick with my phone not plugged into USB port and intentionally use the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug when possible. The fact that carplay overtakes the screen without my choice drives me crazy.

So, not unique to Land Rover/Jaguar, but a major annoyance with any car with carplay.

Edit: GM is by far the worst, Chrysler does pretty well. And if it makes anyone feel any better, try carplay in a 2018 McLaren 570GT, as it sucks as well based on my experience. My good friend let me borrow his recently, as I could never afford one.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 11-02-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my shameless video promotion of my YouTube channel showing Apple CarPlay at work in our 2018 Disco HSE. If you have the most recent version of IOS you can get Waze and Google Maps, I was using an old iPhone we had just for demonstration purposes. I was also in my garage so that is why Pandora and Spotify didn't load quickly, I have very poor cell service and the Wifi Hotspot isn't set up yet. I hope this helps with any questions.

Last edited by natelw; 11-02-2018 at 08:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Groucho123 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks to all before me, I called my dealer and insisted they install Apple Car Play. The Sales manager agreed that it was mentioned by me before I bought it a couple of weeks ago..(due to my seeing posts on this thread). I am bringing it in soon to have it installed. I am hoping that the software update also fixes the accelerator lag from a start and/or when you are resuming pressure on a rolling start.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

So, I just logged a trip of just over 2,600 miles over 72 hours. (FYI, I did it in the TD6 and averaged 28mpg, which included both city driving and mountains)

I had CarPlay installed right before I left.

Overall, I really like it. Was nice to have Waze, iTunes and Spotify handy. The one downside I noticed (and maybe I'm doing it wrong) is that the only way to get out of CarPlay and return to your home screen is to unplug the phone. I found this to be a bit of a hassle, but not a deal breaker.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
So, I just logged a trip of just over 2,600 miles over 72 hours. (FYI, I did it in the TD6 and averaged 28mpg, which included both city driving and mountains)

I had CarPlay installed right before I left.

Overall, I really like it. Was nice to have Waze, iTunes and Spotify handy. The one downside I noticed (and maybe I'm doing it wrong) is that the only way to get out of CarPlay and return to your home screen is to unplug the phone. I found this to be a bit of a hassle, but not a deal breaker.
There should be a Land Rover icon among the CarPlay icons. Selecting it goes back to the regular LR screens.

1979rover (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019D5
There should be a Land Rover icon among the CarPlay icons. Selecting it goes back to the regular LR screens.

I wondered what that was for!!!

Thanks!!

2019D5 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am bringing mine in tomorrow to go from 18b to 18c with smartphone pack.
When I test drove vehicles with carplay, I was with salespeople and didn't thoroughly test it. I know it makes your phone go dark and the car screen show carplay approved apps, so you don;t have to touch your phone.
What I didn't realize is that your other cars functions are unavailable. So if I am using waze on Carplay, do I have to stop that to get to the seat controls or the climate controls? How about satellite radio? Can I listen to that and then open carplay or does that kill my cars audio source?
I guess I will find all of this out by tomorrow afternoon on my ride home.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
I am bringing mine in tomorrow to go from 18b to 18c with smartphone pack.
When I test drove vehicles with carplay, I was with salespeople and didn't thoroughly test it. I know it makes your phone go dark and the car screen show carplay approved apps, so you don;t have to touch your phone.
What I didn't realize is that your other cars functions are unavailable. So if I am using waze on Carplay, do I have to stop that to get to the seat controls or the climate controls? How about satellite radio? Can I listen to that and then open carplay or does that kill my cars audio source?
I guess I will find all of this out by tomorrow afternoon on my ride home.
I cannot speak to D5's, but this is partly my major gripe with manufacturers moving from specific buttons to everything within the touch screen. The goal should be to keep my eyes on the road, not suffer through some fricken computer screen in order to turn off some function. The reality is that its cheaper to do as much as possible via a touch screen than it is with buttons.

Looking forward to 10 years from now, when manufacturers say your iPod 10 screen is no longer supported and the only fix is to buy a new car if you want heated seats to work again... Pure sarcasm on my part, but I'm sure many get the point. Ironic that my wife's Subaru does everything technology wise of an $80,000 car at half the price and has dedicated buttons for everything.

The point is that simple things are only controlled via the screen, and when CarpPlay takes over, its often difficult to navigate back and forth without distraction. I cannot tell you how many times I'm navigating a strange city, trying to find my destination, and the simple call from someone takes away my screen at the worst moment. My business partner says I'm getting old, but I'm carrying a dedicated GPS for the first time in 10 years as I'm tired of the all in one solution. I'm accident free for 36 years of driving, with about 2 million miles under my belt during that time (yes I drive a lot each year). Driving back to EWR (Newark airport) using the Sync 3 nav system in the rental Ford Expedition, and the screen freezes, moments later my colleague takes a sales call from some person, two guys in the back talking to their wives while I'm wasting time to drive and type into my phone. Not a big deal to me overall as I could drive a freight truck through midtown traffic without blinking, but its clear these systems haven't been perfected. Sucks to be them as I missed our exit and we explored the horrible side of Newark returning to the airport.

So if you are only driving your vehicle 10-15 K locally, the CarPlay thing will sound cool. Otherwise, you will suffer headaches, often.

Edit: Now he really says I'm old as I brought an old school paper map for our last trip....

Last edited by COSPILOT; 11-05-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the giant size of the D5 screen, it could use half of it for a carplay interface so you don't have to interact with your phone and use the other half for the car functions.
But I doubt that is happening any time soon.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one found a way to update to CarPlay yourself? Without going to a dealer? I know on the Grand Cherokee there are some downloads you can put on a USB and install.

I'm going on a road trip next week and would like to update to CarPlay but dealer is booked until December.

Quick Reply: CarPlay in the USA