Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
I am bringing mine in tomorrow to go from 18b to 18c with smartphone pack.
When I test drove vehicles with carplay, I was with salespeople and didn't thoroughly test it. I know it makes your phone go dark and the car screen show carplay approved apps, so you don;t have to touch your phone.
What I didn't realize is that your other cars functions are unavailable. So if I am using waze on Carplay, do I have to stop that to get to the seat controls or the climate controls? How about satellite radio? Can I listen to that and then open carplay or does that kill my cars audio source?
I guess I will find all of this out by tomorrow afternoon on my ride home.
Anything that is/can be accessed via existing physical control, e.g. driver seat position, AC temp and fan speed, radio volume, switching stations via buttons on steering wheel, etc. can ALL continue to be directly accessed as such while CarPlay is in use (and yes, you can listen to any audio source you want including satellite or FM while using CarPlay).

To get to anything that does *not* have a physical control, e.g. folding down the middle seat head rest in the second row, you have to exit CarPlay by pressing the Land Rover icon in CarPlay, then navigating to the pertinent screen to do whatever it is you want to do. When done with that, from the Home screen, the right most of the 3 boxes goes right back to CarPlay. Note that Waze or whatever will continue to function in the background so that when you return to CarPlay you'll be right back to where you'd been otherwise.

BTW, Volvo has done what some of you are suggesting - which is to leave direct access to various touch screen items even when CarPlay is in use. HOWEVER, Sensus-Based Volvos lack the physical controls for even basic things like climate control. So, they wisely left touch screen access to both at all times. Not really needed in the LR since there are still so many physical controls.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019D5
Anything that is/can be accessed via existing physical control, e.g. driver seat position, AC temp and fan speed, radio volume, switching stations via buttons on steering wheel, etc. can ALL continue to be directly accessed as such while CarPlay is in use (and yes, you can listen to any audio source you want including satellite or FM while using CarPlay).

To get to anything that does *not* have a physical control, e.g. folding down the middle seat head rest in the second row, you have to exit CarPlay by pressing the Land Rover icon in CarPlay, then navigating to the pertinent screen to do whatever it is you want to do. When done with that, from the Home screen, the right most of the 3 boxes goes right back to CarPlay. Note that Waze or whatever will continue to function in the background so that when you return to CarPlay you'll be right back to where you'd been otherwise.

BTW, Volvo has done what some of you are suggesting - which is to leave direct access to various touch screen items even when CarPlay is in use. HOWEVER, Sensus-Based Volvos lack the physical controls for even basic things like climate control. So, they wisely left touch screen access to both at all times. Not really needed in the LR since there are still so many physical controls.
That sounds great. Unfortunately for me I came down with a stomach bug last night and had to cancel my service appointment. So will be a few weeks before I get Carplay

Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Overall enjoying CarPlay. One small glitch I have noticed: when I start the car using the LR app (to pre-heat or pre-cool) and then plug my phone in to use CarPlay, the car screen says "CarPlay Not Available." It won't allow CarPlay for the rest of the drive but resets itself on my next drive (as do most LR gremlins). Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by disco5fl
Overall enjoying CarPlay. One small glitch I have noticed: when I start the car using the LR app (to pre-heat or pre-cool) and then plug my phone in to use CarPlay, the car screen says "CarPlay Not Available." It won't allow CarPlay for the rest of the drive but resets itself on my next drive (as do most LR gremlins). Anyone else experience this?
I believe you need to quit the LR app on your phone before you try and launch CarPlay.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:19 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up our 2018 Td6 today after dropping it off for its 10,000 mile service yesterday. FWIW the dealer(Minneapolis) told me they just got the update with Carplay last week and had only installed it a few times. They are not charging for the update. I dropped it off at 8 am yesterday but the update install was still downloading at 3 pm so I told them to keep it until today. I'm looking forward to the update as the old navigation system was maybe the worst I've used in recent years. This is our first Land Rover or Jaguar of any type and everything else about it including its towing ability we love.

Update: Carplay works great! Our '18 RR HSE has the dual displays so when using Carplay you can still have all the separate controls for seats, vehicle, climate, etc. while using whatever Carplay Apps on the upper screen. You can also have 2 apps from your iPhone running at the same time such as Waze and Apple music, and see and control them individually.

Last edited by efehr; 11-13-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a separate note, I wish Land Rover and other car manufacturers would offer software updates automatically over home wifi. Our 2015 Tesla gets automatic updates every 3-6 months and all of the updates are done when I'm asleep and we have had zero issues with any of the updates. Having to leave my car at the Land Rover dealer overnight this week for a software update is very inefficient in comparison. Of course, you don't buy a Land Rover without expecting an above average amount of service issues.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by efehr
As a separate note, I wish Land Rover and other car manufacturers would offer software updates automatically over home wifi. Our 2015 Tesla gets automatic updates every 3-6 months and all of the updates are done when I'm asleep and we have had zero issues with any of the updates. Having to leave my car at the Land Rover dealer overnight this week for a software update is very inefficient in comparison. Of course, you don't buy a Land Rover without expecting an above average amount of service issues.
I hope Tesla downloads the updates and then ask to install them before doing so. I am not a fan of auto updates without me agreeing to the final install first. Sometimes the SW sucks and I don't want to be the QA for a manufacturer.

But totally agree SW updates should be a more user friendly experience and controllable by the user. Non tech savvy people can still take the car in to the dealer, but we should at least have the option to do it ourselves. Then again maybe a lot of LRs will be disabled due to incomplete SW updates

Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm new here...just got my 2018 HSE si6 3 weeks ago and loving it.
Got CarPlay inslatted...it's great, but having to plug in through the usb is a pain.
It's an extra step, but more importantly...there's no good place to stick the phone once it's connected to keep it out of sight.
I end up putting it in the center storage tray, but the lid won't close completely with the phone & cord in there.
Where are you folks storing your phone once it's connected?

Separately...why can't we just connect to CarPlay via Bluetooth?
Is that something that might be in the works?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco V
I'm new here...just got my 2018 HSE si6 3 weeks ago and loving it.
Got CarPlay inslatted...it's great, but having to plug in through the usb is a pain.
It's an extra step, but more importantly...there's no good place to stick the phone once it's connected to keep it out of sight.
I end up putting it in the center storage tray, but the lid won't close completely with the phone & cord in there.
Where are you folks storing your phone once it's connected?

Separately...why can't we just connect to CarPlay via Bluetooth?
Is that something that might be in the works?
I leave my phone standing in one of the cup holders. But if you want it out of sight why not just drop it into the storage bin, where the jack for the cable is?

WIreless CarPlay is something that's in very few cars. I wouldn't expect to get an update for that, but who knows?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019D5
I leave my phone standing in one of the cup holders. But if you want it out of sight why not just drop it into the storage bin, where the jack for the cable is?

WIreless CarPlay is something that's in very few cars. I wouldn't expect to get an update for that, but who knows?
I have the cooler box and the lightning cord deforms the rubber gasket if I drop the phone into the storage bin.
That said...I'm more likely to use this space for storage than for actually insulating / cooling any beverages, so I may just follow your suggestion.

Quick Reply: CarPlay in the USA