Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Cracked sunroof (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/cracked-sunroof-94328/)

edwingow 04-14-2019 04:54 PM

Cracked sunroof

My wife got in her 2018 Discovery HSE this morning and noticed that there is a large crack in the sunroof. There does not appear to be any sort of impact mark that would have caused this - has anyone experienced an issue similar to this?

andries 04-15-2019 09:24 AM

Ouch, do you have a picture of the crack?
Don’t have one nor recall reading about a crack in the moonroof.

edwingow 04-15-2019 11:47 AM

Picture of the crack in the sunroof

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...017438578.jpeg
It was difficult to get a shot where the crack really stood out without being under cover. Unfortunately there’s a crack in the stucco of the porte corchere above the image that makes it difficult to differentiate the actual crack in the glass. I’ve drawn a line around the actual crack.

jaguardoc504 04-22-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by edwingow (Post 687180)
My wife got in her 2018 Discovery HSE this morning and noticed that there is a large crack in the sunroof. There does not appear to be any sort of impact mark that would have caused this - has anyone experienced an issue similar to this?

Could have been a multitude of things.
It is pretty easy to swap out though.
Remove the trim pieces on both sides and remove the screw mounting the glass.
Re-install and adjust

Disco5tv 10-07-2019 06:48 PM

Same thing here...

I have the same problem with my 2017 Disco. I opened the shade and looked up a few days ago and there is a crack going all the way across. Also no "star" pattern from impact or anything. I've had a lot of sun/moon roofs over the years, never had one break before. Did they fix your's under warranty?

edwingow 10-08-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Disco5tv (Post 704986)
I have the same problem with my 2017 Disco. I opened the shade and looked up a few days ago and there is a crack going all the way across. Also no "star" pattern from impact or anything. I've had a lot of sun/moon roofs over the years, never had one break before. Did they fix your's under warranty?

They did not. I ended up having the sunroof replaced under our insurance as it fell by our windshield replacement coverage. I'm terribly unhappy with Land Rover over all this, especially since I explained that we had been experiencing a wind noise coming from the sunroof from the day that it was new and were told that it was normal. Interestingly, once the sunroof was replaced, the wind noise went away. Of course the sunroof replacement was done by a 3rd party, so Land Rover won't consider the possibility that it was a fitment issue from the factory.

longtrip68 03-02-2020 12:29 PM

I have a cracked sunroof too

I looked up the other day and found a crack in my sunroof that goes all the way across the sunroom. And when I look down on it from up top, it actually is worse as it runs along the edges all the way from rear to front. It doesn’t look like there is any external damage at all. I just so happen to have a 32k service tomorrow morning, so I will bring it up. Of course I would like it covered under warranty, but I am not holding my breath.

edwingow 03-02-2020 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by longtrip68 (Post 721268)
I looked up the other day and found a crack in my sunroof that goes all the way across the sunroom. And when I look down on it from up top, it actually is worse as it runs along the edges all the way from rear to front. It doesn’t look like there is any external damage at all. I just so happen to have a 32k service tomorrow morning, so I will bring it up. Of course I would like it covered under warranty, but I am not holding my breath.

I wish you good luck on this - my dealer's service department seemed more interested in covering their own asses than actually taking a close look at the issue. Definitely a disappointing experience.

Blupontiac 04-23-2021 05:32 AM

Me too! Whilst stationary!!!

Originally Posted by edwingow (Post 687180)

Myself and my wife returned home the other day and parked the car with our son asleep in the back seat on our drive. We were discussing what to do with him when the front sunroof whilst the cover was closed went crack! No over hanging tress or anything to fall on it no impact whatsoever. Opened the cover and watched the crack which appeared on the drivers side halfway way along grow toward the centre of the glass like a scene from Jurassic park! We’ve never actually opened the sunroof and the temp was around 12 degrees with no fluctuation? So now we’ve got to sort that out🤦🏻‍♂️

discosport 07-19-2021 07:09 AM

cracked sun roof

i opened my sunroof yesterday and noticed a crack across - all the way from one side to the other. There had been no impact or anything that would have caused the crack. I wonder is anyone has an idea of how much it would cost to get it fixed