Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Discovery td6 vs RRS Td6 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/discovery-td6-vs-rrs-td6-94741/)

discov 05-13-2019 08:41 AM

Discovery td6 vs RRS Td6

Good day! New to the forum here and currently have a 2019 Td6 hse lux discovery on order.....got the locking diff, terrain response 2 plus pretty much every other goodie on order.

I currently drive a 2016 range rover sport td6 with the twin speed transfer case and absolutely love the way it drives. It has over 70k miles and I am going to trade it in towards the new disco...my question is how differently will they drive? The two of them have pretty much the same powertrain and chassis, has anyone come from a RRS to the Disco? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

2019D5 05-14-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by discov (Post 690310)
Good day! New to the forum here and currently have a 2019 Td6 hse lux discovery on order.....got the locking diff, terrain response 2 plus pretty much every other goodie on order.

I currently drive a 2016 range rover sport td6 with the twin speed transfer case and absolutely love the way it drives. It has over 70k miles and I am going to trade it in towards the new disco...my question is how differently will they drive? The two of them have pretty much the same powertrain and chassis, has anyone come from a RRS to the Disco? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

We actually cross shopped the two, a 2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux, spec'd to about $80k, and an RRS Td6 also spec'd to about $80k. We went with the D5 because: the lease terms were WAY better (despite the similar MSRP), the utility is much higher, and the interior has come a long way from prior models.

In terms of driving dynamics though, the RRS is still a much better drive. Handles better, tighter, less roll, etc. Everything you'd expect given the relative size and other differences between the two. Still, love cruising in the D5. It's great for road trips and the Mrs. uses it as her DD locally. We've used the 3rd row a bunch of times, and there's just no comparison with the one in the RRS. It's actually useable in a way that the one in the RRS simply is not. Same with the cargo space - it's enormous in the D5. For us, these were important.

discov 05-14-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2019D5 (Post 690426)
We actually cross shopped the two, a 2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux, spec'd to about $80k, and an RRS Td6 also spec'd to about $80k. We went with the D5 because: the lease terms were WAY better (despite the similar MSRP), the utility is much higher, and the interior has come a long way from prior models.

In terms of driving dynamics though, the RRS is still a much better drive. Handles better, tighter, less roll, etc. Everything you'd expect given the relative size and other differences between the two. Still, love cruising in the D5. It's great for road trips and the Mrs. uses it as her DD locally. We've used the 3rd row a bunch of times, and there's just no comparison with the one in the RRS. It's actually useable in a way that the one in the RRS simply is not. Same with the cargo space - it's enormous in the D5. For us, these were important.

Thank you for the reply, my current sport doesn't have the anti roll goodies the v8 has so I was hoping it was essentially the same setup as the Disco.

I guess I'll have to get to a dealer for test drive!

Is the steering very very loose and light or does it compare to the sport?

2019D5 05-15-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by discov (Post 690429)
Thank you for the reply, my current sport doesn't have the anti roll goodies the v8 has so I was hoping it was essentially the same setup as the Disco.

I guess I'll have to get to a dealer for test drive!

Is the steering very very loose and light or does it compare to the sport?

It's been some time since we did the test drives but to my memory the steering was definitely tighter on the RRS. I would DEFINITELY do as thorough and extensive a test drive as you can before pulling the final trigger...