New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?

Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jaacina
I am curious about the removal of the tune as well if bringing to the dealership.
when would a tech even look at the ecu? If it’s something bad enough to need that checked I’d probably email them first. They told me for mine I’d get a loaner programmer to install.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

It's normal practice to revert back to the stock tune before you go to the dealer and then reinstall once the car is back. Doesn't take too long
Reason is that they run updates, mods and patches to the software quite often and would be expensive if it caused an issue and bricked the ecu

Just be mindful that you can't 'hide' the fact that the car has had a tune. Even if you revert back there is a flag on the system that indicates that time has been changed and you can't make that go away!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Many folks are skeptical of the piggy back tuners. I had the Bluespark unit on my Cayenne TDI and have had it on the wife's Audi a few times when I just want to have some fun? A full second off of 0-60 and improved light throttle mileage for [then] $349? It was worth it to me and you can pull them off before you go in for service. I may give the ChipExpress tune a shot when we get ours since they do offer a one month satisfaction guarantee. Bluespark claimed 308HP 513 LB. FT. which would be in line with the Chip Express "after" numbers.

https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/5609/

Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Many folks are skeptical of the piggy back tuners. I had the Bluespark unit on my Cayenne TDI and have had it on the wife's Audi a few times when I just want to have some fun? A full second off of 0-60 and improved light throttle mileage for [then] $349? It was worth it to me and you can pull them off before you go in for service. I may give the ChipExpress tune a shot when we get ours since they do offer a one month satisfaction guarantee. Bluespark claimed 308HP 513 LB. FT. which would be in line with the Chip Express "after" numbers.

https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/5609/
I’m not sure exactly what the VelocityAP guys do but on a rage rover forum many people were trying it and saying it was amazing

Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

As of right now VelocityAP says the loner tuner would have to be sent to you to reflash the ecu back to stock. I’ve asked them what the cost would be to purchase a tuner. Mentioned the forum and how a few of us are interested. Maybe we can catch a break on pricing. All I know is a good tune took my ecodiesel Jeep and eliminated the lag, dropped the zero-60 by almost 2 seconds and made it an amazing vehicle. It also never had any of the problems others were having. The tune fixed a lot.

edit: Tuner is $2700 with a years subscription which is $900/yr they sell it at cost. Pretty steep.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Chip Express is looking good

Old 09-22-2018, 01:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
As of right now VelocityAP says the loner tuner would have to be sent to you to reflash the ecu back to stock. I’ve asked them what the cost would be to purchase a tuner. Mentioned the forum and how a few of us are interested. Maybe we can catch a break on pricing. All I know is a good tune took my ecodiesel Jeep and eliminated the lag, dropped the zero-60 by almost 2 seconds and made it an amazing vehicle. It also never had any of the problems others were having. The tune fixed a lot.

edit: Tuner is $2700 with a years subscription which is $900/yr they sell it at cost. Pretty steep.
Really interested in a tune, but that cost seem way too high.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
: Tuner is $2700 with a years subscription which is $900/yr they sell it at cost. Pretty steep.[/left]
Are you sure they understood your question correctly? On the Jag forum many people have used velocity and it seems to run around $900 or so for just a tune (no pulley upgrades etc). But that comes with the programmer so you download your Ecu file, email to them, they send you the replacement tuned one which you upload with the programmer. But you get to keep the programmer so you can flash the original and the new tune whenever you want
Eg see this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6-tune-166258/

So it's unclear why it should cost 3x for the TD6

Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Eric Law
Really interested in a tune, but that cost seem way too high.
the tune is around $1k which for an ECU remap is pretty standard.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BritCars
Are you sure they understood your question correctly? On the Jag forum many people have used velocity and it seems to run around $900 or so for just a tune (no pulley upgrades etc). But that comes with the programmer so you download your Ecu file, email to them, they send you the replacement tuned one which you upload with the programmer. But you get to keep the programmer so you can flash the original and the new tune whenever you want
Eg see this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6-tune-166258/

So it's unclear why it should cost 3x for the TD6
the tune is the $900 but I was asking them what the tuner would cost to purchase so that way we could flash it back and forth as needed. They’ll send you a loaner tool but I was curious what it would cost to purchase the tool yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?