New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Understood. Just seems strange that they can offer the tunes for the Jag for $900 incl tune and programmer (which you get to keep so you can flash back and worth whenever you want)
Not sure why this one is so much more expensive

Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It's interesting that Chip Express is nearly half the cost of Velocity. Granted, it's a piggyback system, but still.....

Also, I had an interesting conversation with my service advisor on Friday. I was asking how they felt about tunes on warrantied vehicles. He said they didn't have a problem with it as long as I told them the tune was on it. He said if they don't know the tune is there and they hook up their diagnostic tools and run the program, it screws up all kinds of software. If they're aware the tune is present, they'll either work around it or, better yet, have me remove it prior to service.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
It's interesting that Chip Express is nearly half the cost of Velocity. Granted, it's a piggyback system, but still.....

Also, I had an interesting conversation with my service advisor on Friday. I was asking how they felt about tunes on warrantied vehicles. He said they didn't have a problem with it as long as I told them the tune was on it. He said if they don't know the tune is there and they hook up their diagnostic tools and run the program, it screws up all kinds of software. If they're aware the tune is present, they'll either work around it or, better yet, have me remove it prior to service.
I’ve only ever had an ecu tune before but they are much more in-depth and change several parameters of the engine vs fooling it into changing its fuel flow

Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I spoke with one tuner company and they can do magic like unlocking paid software only features, enabling Dynamic drive, steering assist adaptive cruise control, SVx panel and all other great stuff but
To flash ECU you need DoIP VCI kit (500$ clone - 1500$ original) laptop and they can do it over TeamViewer session and dealer will see that the version of ECU firmware have different flags (however there is no log) and there is NO WAY to revert back to stock and set exactly same flags in ECU. So if you will have issues with engine or some other reason to force you to pay for costly repair, your dealer will find this info in ECU and use it against you. You were messing with ECU and will expect them to pay for fixing related or not problems ? Why should they?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chouck
I spoke with one tuner company and they can do magic like unlocking paid software only features, enabling Dynamic drive, steering assist adaptive cruise control, SVx panel and all other great stuff but
To flash ECU you need DoIP VCI kit (500$ clone - 1500$ original) laptop and they can do it over TeamViewer session and dealer will see that the version of ECU firmware have different flags (however there is no log) and there is NO WAY to revert back to stock and set exactly same flags in ECU. So if you will have issues with engine or some other reason to force you to pay for costly repair, your dealer will find this info in ECU and use it against you. You were messing with ECU and will expect them to pay for fixing related or not problems ? Why should they?
Another option is getting a second ECU, but that is about $1.2k there alone.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AirRyan
Another option is getting a second ECU, but that is about $1.2k there alone.
it is not that quick, straightforward and easy so swap them and keep yours with all updates to match the rest of the car.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

In the Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, there was a company called Green Diesel Engineering and they seemingly had a way to make the tune look like the latest s/w version at the time. Some who didn't like removing their ECU used a second ECU as an option, but it cost a little extra to get a new black ECU programmed to your specific vehicle. GDE doesn't have a way to swap tunes via OBD and so that requires a bench flash. Removing an ECU in a Jeep Grand Cherokee wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure where it is in the Discovery.

If a dealer wanted to, they can try and look at the checksums and see that the ECU was flashed, even if it was tuned back to the stock tune. The best way is a hand-held tuner that permitted you to swap tunes yourself. If the dealer had an update they could update your ECU, overwriting any tune you may have had on there, and then you could d/l that updated ECU s/w version and send it back to your tuner to have the tune re-applied. Short of that, yeah, a tune in today's day in age of ECU flash tuning via OBDII, it's probably not worth it.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Got my BlueSpark kit last week, customer service is great, shipping toll few days, installed in 10 min. Works great. There is no change under 1800RPM as you can't fool the physics of turbo engine. But above 1800 it jumps out and rocks even on medium - default map preset. Highly recommend.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Got my BlueSpark kit last week, customer service is great, shipping toll few days, installed in 10 min. Works great. There is no change under 1800RPM as you can't fool the physics of turbo engine. But above 1800 it jumps out and rocks even on medium - default map preset. Highly recommend.
I’m wondering if my tune is even doing anything I need a way to test it. Like you don’t see any off the line performance but the engine does seem to be very impressive in the passing game. I’ve had it since Sept and have forgotten what it’s like without it. The TD6 boost different than the eco diesel I had so not seeing the same results. The eco diesel had much more lag so there was a more noticeable fix.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

got a name for this tuner? Interested for a friend.. #me