New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laggy Accelerator Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to change the subject too much, but anyone get their TD6 chipped/ECU update yet? Wondering if that fixes the lag.

Mine was really bad at first but it has gotten much better, it is strange though, almost feels like it shifts to neutral for a second then engages. Could very well be a rolling stop prevention method, but holy **** that would be annoying if it were a feature.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

The "lag" is to help improve mpg.
Alot of new cars(all brands)have the same issue.
Get a Pedal Commander and it'll fix it.

www.pedalcommander.com

The following users liked this post:
ssneed (04-01-2020)
Old 10-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
The "lag" is to help improve mpg.
Alot of new cars(all brands)have the same issue.
Get a Pedal Commander and it'll fix it.

www.pedalcommander.com
I've read about this before (as well as Sprint Booster). My understanding is that this just amplifies the throttle input. I don't think that our problem is with throttle response, but I think it is with a slow-to-react transmission. Mashing the throttle may force a quicker downshift, but that is not what I want - I just want faster response in the current gear. It seems that the transmission software 'thinks' too much when the car is slowing into the range of the lower gears and it tries to figure out which gear to go in. The throttle commander will likely force the transmission to always downshift, which may not necessarily be the intended action, i.e., I don't want my passengers to experience eternal whiplash.

Does anyone have experience with this product on other cars? I considered getting this for my previous SUV - a 4Runner. The issue there is not with a laggy transmission - it was just that the gearing was too conservative. In that case, people that used this product experience more aggressive gearing response, which was the intended result (kind of like sport mode).

Old 10-30-2018, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by preeble
I've read about this before (as well as Sprint Booster). My understanding is that this just amplifies the throttle input. I don't think that our problem is with throttle response, but I think it is with a slow-to-react transmission. Mashing the throttle may force a quicker downshift, but that is not what I want - I just want faster response in the current gear. It seems that the transmission software 'thinks' too much when the car is slowing into the range of the lower gears and it tries to figure out which gear to go in. The throttle commander will likely force the transmission to always downshift, which may not necessarily be the intended action, i.e., I don't want my passengers to experience eternal whiplash.

Does anyone have experience with this product on other cars? I considered getting this for my previous SUV - a 4Runner. The issue there is not with a laggy transmission - it was just that the gearing was too conservative. In that case, people that used this product experience more aggressive gearing response, which was the intended result (kind of like sport mode).
The Pedal Commander has a wide range of adjustment, and will make the gas pedal feel like it's attached to a cable, so when you push the pedal, the vehicle responds.
How touchy it is depends on the setting.
I'm looking at new Tacoma trd off roads now, and their pedal response sucks. From what I've read, and PC owners I've talked to, the PC fixes the issue.

As for the trans shifting, the ecu learns your driving habits, and will adjust accordingly within the first 1k to 2k miles.
I have experienced this in a few newer drive by wire cars.
The new Disco seems right on track with it's predacessors too...plauged with issues.
Good luck with it.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven other land rover's (2017 and 2018 D5's and Range Rover's) that didn't have the lag. I have had mine in to service with no luck and the service adviser said he would continue to research it, but it's been weeks and I haven't heard anything. None of my Audi's or BMW's have had this issue and I thinks it's creating a dangerous situation for D5 drivers.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:00 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have this issue on a 18. The delay in response when approaching a left turn in traffic can be down right scary. I find it hard to believe that some issue in California would create a change in design in the UK that would be rolled out to the rest of the world.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had similar issues. When I had my firmware updated for the Infortainment system so I can access Apple CarPlay, I told my tech about my accelerator issues- both when driving from a complete stop and also while using the autonomous driving feature. When I lightly press the gas, it doesn't react- like its not catching but then once I add more pressure to the gas pedal the D5 jolts forward and then the car moves. My tech told me that it was a software issue that they would need to update. When I picked up the D5 and test drove it, it felt like I was driving a new D5. The issue went away. I tested the autonomous driving feature and that too was resolved. The way I look at it, today's cars are relying more and more on computer firmware. Also, CarPlay works fine but has a few hiccups which I'll mention in another part of the forum. If your tech can't figure it out, force them to figure it out. That's their job. Half the time these guys don't know and I keep telling them to research it and contact other service centers for information. I'm very fortunate to have a good service center that are qualified to do this type of repairs. Many of them had gone away for training 10 months before they rolled out the D5. Many of them said that they had to learn a lot about software/firmware and how they had to rethink the way they work- that today's technology, hardware (mechanical repairs) and software/firmware go hand in hand.

The following 3 users liked this post by LR4Top:
Alan Gochin (02-28-2019), andries (11-01-2018), Groucho123 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Hi LR4Top.
"My tech told me that it was a software issue that they would need to update. When I picked up the D5 and test drove it, it felt like I was driving a new D5. The issue went away. "

Can you tell us what software they actually updated? Engine controller? Transmission? Other? And what is the new software? It's strange that your dealer has that without having to get emissions control approval. Are you in US?
If you could get the specific update details, bulletin number etc that would be outstanding for many of us on here
My master tech researched at length and they did say it needs a software patch but they were many months away from developing and deploying it

Old 11-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Hi - just seen you updated on this in another thread. Thank you!

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmmh, did not notice this on the TD6s we test drove. Is this a SI6 problem or are TD6 owners seeing it?

Post emissions fix on our Audi TDI, we now have conditional exacerbated turbo lag that sounds similar to what is described here. You can punch it from dead stop and it goes like 450 lb.ft. will. But, if you lightly pull out and then punch it, severe lag. But, not ALL the time. And that makes it worse because if a vehicle does the same thing every time, you can modify your driving habits to compensate.

Quick Reply: Laggy Accelerator Fix?