Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   New Discovery Owner (July 7th) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/new-discovery-owner-july-7th-84486/)

TechDr 06-03-2017 09:31 AM

New Discovery Owner (July 7th)

I'm a current 2009 VW Touareg TDI owner.
My vehicle is being bought back for a fair amount of money from VW.
The Touareg has been a great vehicle for me and I have loved owning it but VW is offering me a significant amount more than I could ever sell it for. I was disappointed having to give it back to VW because I felt that I really couldn't find an equivalent replacement vehicle with a diesel engine...

Until I visited the LA Auto show on Thanksgiving day. I remember really excited to see the new ZR2 Colorado diesel but was very disappointed when I sat in it and discovered there are very few options available for it like no sunroof.

Then came the Land Rover section and needless to say I fell in love with the new discovery it was everything I could have wanted (diesel engine, 7 seater, air suspension, over 7,000 lbs towing package and a low range transfer case) and more but it did have a hefty price tag fully equipt.

Anyway I pre-ordered one once the VW buyback was confirmed and the delivery date is set for July 7th.

I am curious if anybody has taken delivery of a new discovery yet?

Also I am very curious as to the difference between the Discovery and the Range Rover Sport it seems all the same options are available... is it just the looks really?

Anyway obviously I'm excited I get to use words like the boot and I get to say cheers plus I get to join the land rover clubs and I hope visit the LR Experience Center!

Cheers,
Erik

PaulLR 06-04-2017 09:11 AM

Welcome Erik, you are one of the first to order a new Discovery.

To answer your question, LR is doing what everyone else is doing (Especially Audi & MB) by making their vehicles look similar, just in different sizes. The Discovery is basically a bigger RR Sport. Unless you get a RR Sport with the SC V8. That is more like a Cayenne than a Discovery.

PaulLR 06-05-2017 04:32 PM

And at least now we know who is going to buy the new Discovery. We knew it wasn't going to be LR4 owners.

TechDr 06-05-2017 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaulLR (Post 607978)
And at least now we know who is going to buy the new Discovery. We knew it wasn't going to be LR4 owners.

Perfect 1st & 2nd Gen Touareg TDI replacement.

There are not many options if you want a seven seater, 2 speed xfer case and a diesel engine!

TechDr 06-05-2017 10:04 PM

also for me I wanted full-time 4wd (not auto) and towing capacity over 7,000 lbs like my Touareg.

FormerTouaregFan 06-11-2017 01:50 PM

Also a former Touareg TDI owner. Loved the car. Had a 2004 which was a nightmare but bought a 2012 and it has been bulletproof. 2004 was the first year though, so that is making me nervous about the new Discovery. It's really the only diesel option, now that Mercedes, BMW and Jeep have all stopped selling diesels too. The dealers all say it is VW's fault making people nervous about diesels in general. Unfortunate. Anyway, how nervous should I be about a new model from Land Rover? I have 3 Lotus's so am used to unreliable British cars, but hoping this is much better. Any thoughts?

PaulLR 06-12-2017 07:14 AM

The new Discovery is basically a larger Range Rover Sport. Hopefully the first year issues are minimal. The engine and transmission have been used since 2014 and are very reliable. Our LR3 had many issues but the dealer always knew how to fix them on one attempt. Nice to have loaner cars available too.

ftlbritish 06-12-2017 08:05 AM

Congrats, can't wait to see it.

FormerTouaregFan 06-12-2017 09:25 AM

Thanks, Paul. I spent yesterday doing research on TrueDelta and the US News and World Report sites looking for repair record stuff and have decided I don't want the air suspension due to reliability complaints. Also talked to a colleague who has. Had both an LR3 and LR4 and loves them, only complaint being 12mpg, and goes through brakes. So I researched brakes and they aren't much different from Touareg ones I've done myself so not an issue. And the diesel Discovery should be similar to the VW TDI which has been 22 around town and 28 on our 1200 mile one day drives from Chicago to Wyoming to our vacation home. The 2004 gas V8 Touareg got single digits when towing but the TDI got 16-18 so hoping that is the same too. Been contacting dealers for pricing and they aren't dealing much because it is so new. Checking out a candidate today and may have one shortly!

TechDr 06-12-2017 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by FormerTouaregFan (Post 608523)
Thanks, Paul. I spent yesterday doing research on TrueDelta and the US News and World Report sites looking for repair record stuff and have decided I don't want the air suspension due to reliability complaints. Also talked to a colleague who has. Had both an LR3 and LR4 and loves them, only complaint being 12mpg, and goes through brakes. So I researched brakes and they aren't much different from Touareg ones I've done myself so not an issue. And the diesel Discovery should be similar to the VW TDI which has been 22 around town and 28 on our 1200 mile one day drives from Chicago to Wyoming to our vacation home. The 2004 gas V8 Touareg got single digits when towing but the TDI got 16-18 so hoping that is the same too. Been contacting dealers for pricing and they aren't dealing much because it is so new. Checking out a candidate today and may have one shortly!

If you beat me to it please share and send pictures... there are no actual owner reviews on the Internet (that I can find) just tons of press reviews!!!

I believe the diesel engine is sourced from Ford? and has been in use in Europe for a while. I think I read somewhere Ford is bringing that engine to their F150 and SUV lineup in the near future. That made me feel better about the engine to be honest.

Also yes it being the first year bothers me a bit but with the lack of choices and the perfect timing in line with my Touareg buyback I'm just gonna have to do it. I hope being that it is so similar to the other vehicles they have already produced they will have got it right the first time.

I may consider a short lease with option just in-case we'll see...

and I was told to expect to pay full MSRP being that it is new so we'll see but I'd be curious if you are able to get any discount... please let us know!