Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Oil Change for Si6 Engine (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/oil-change-si6-engine-95616/)

ponderosajack 07-11-2019 09:55 AM

Oil Change for Si6 Engine

I did a first oil change on my gas engine. Here's some info that might help you.
This is for a change using the drain plug.
I removed the under panel/skid plate using a 15mm socket. Two bolts in the back have keyhole slots and can just be loosened. They support the rear of the skid plate without having to hold it up. Especially useful when reinstalling but the skid plate is pretty light anyway (not has heavy as an LR3's).
The oil drain plug takes a 13mm socket.
The standard aftermarket oil filter cap wrench (I think it was 90mm) is too loose. I fixed it by rapping each flute of the wrench with a hammer and it now fits snugly.
The oil filter swap is very easy. Just pull out the old filter from the cap and press the new one in place, be sure to line up the two tabs so it fully inserts into the cap, then swap the large o-ring that comes with the filter.
I only drained 7.0 quarts. Since this was my first time I figured the dealer under filled last time (though the dash said it was full) or I'd used 1.5 quarts.
There was no sludge or crud in my oil pan.
My Discovery was never privately owned so it was always serviced by the dealer, possibly only one oil change before I owned it.
It wasn't a demo, it was loaned to a hotel.
I filled it with 8.5 quarts of the proper spec oil, drove a few miles and checked the level. It showed and said Overfilled.
I sucked out 1 quart and it showed full and said OK.
So I am happy that it wasn't under filled before and that I hadn't used 1.5 quarts. It appears I may have used up to 1/2 quart (in 8000 miles).
I had drained it until it stopped dripping so that means a drain and fill is only 7.5 quarts and there must be 1 quart that remains undrained.
If you drain your D5 only fill it with the amount you drain then check the gauge.
Next time I'll try the suction method and see how much comes out.

TheInfamousDrew 04-22-2020 01:14 PM

Hey, I assume you have not needed another oil chance since this post. But, have you tried the vacuum method? I have a Mityvac from my old C63.
Curiuous which was easier.

I do all my own oil changes and the wife's 2017 Disco needs one.

Thanks in advance.

ponderosajack 04-22-2020 03:51 PM

Not yet. It’s due in 400 miles per my own schedule. I’d forgotten I’d written this post. I’ll post the results when I do but it could be a month or more at the rate I’ve been driving. Maybe even longer since I plan to start driving my convertible that’s been garaged since last October.

BalanBro 04-29-2020 08:38 AM

I haven't done one on the Disco yet either, but I also have a Mityvac that I got for my W204 C63. I was under the impression that JLR has a port to hook up your vacuum right at the fill hole, meaning you just hook up your oil evacuator right there and don't even have to snake the tube down to the pan. Is this the case?

ponderosajack 04-29-2020 08:57 AM

I have only done one oil change. Did it by removing drain plug. Very easy. But my petrol D5 does have that built in tube visible under the oil filler cap. Will try vacuum method next time.

ponderosajack 05-09-2020 09:42 PM

I tried the suction method to change the oil yesterday. Got a little over 7.3 quarts out. Filled it with 7.8 quarts (should have been 7.5 I think) and it flashed overfilled then went to full, OK.
Drove it a bit and checked again, flashed overfilled then went to full, OK.
Drove it one more time and it shows full, OK.

I think the suction method left about 0.2 to 0.3 more quarts in it than using the drain plug. I plan to use the drain plug method at least every other time.

Has anyone actually put 8.5 quarts in their Si6 (petrol) D5 and not had it show overfilled?
I am wondering if my in dash computer oil level sensors are incorrect.
I've sent an email to my LR guy to ask if he can check it for me and if the shop fills it with 8.5 quarts (which is what the owner's manual states).