Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Ok so td6 or si6? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/ok-so-td6-si6-91160/)

ToiletDuck 09-06-2018 12:14 PM

Ok so td6 or si6?

im ready to pull the trigger today. I won’t lie, whatever I get I’ll probably get a tune put on. But was scared by the d5 making oil with the td6. Ive found a new 2017 hse si6 with what I want (towing pkg an absolute must and harder to come by) and a CPO 2017 td6 that are basically the same price. The CPO has 9000 miles but confirmed 7yr 100k warrant. Is the diesel really having that many issues? I understand the risks of tuning. For those that do it right it’s actually better. I’m not talking the kind that burn your engine down but I’ve been down this road with my Jeep ecodiesel and it was phenomenal! Anyway the making oil thing is something I’m worried about but how small is that issue? They are roughly the same price do which?

Black 18 Disco 09-07-2018 08:58 AM

No issues at all with my diesel and I love it - 26.6 MPG since ownership (6700 miles). Up to 40 MPG on one longer highway segment - but typically around 35 MPG. Quieter that gas. Fuel prices are about $.60 per gallon cheaper since the gas is supposed to run on premium. I paid extra for the diesel on my 2018 SE and will save the cost after 2 years of ownership given my typical mileage. Diesel tows better - lots more torque. I don't know why you would buy a gas model other than it was an impulse purchase at the dealership and you were not willing to wait for an order to come in.

Check out the Gauntlet towing test for the 2016 Range Rover Sport Diesel by The Fast Lane Truck on Youtube. This is the same engine as the Discovery Td6.

ToiletDuck 09-07-2018 10:35 AM

Unfortunately I'm not ordering a new one but looking at what's currently on lots. Trying to stay at $55k or less which there are some out here it's just been tricky finding something with a towing setup. If I go new there's several that are under that price with the towing setup but gas.

SoCalWiley 09-07-2018 02:56 PM

I'd go with the diesel if you're going to be towing. It's got more torque and better mileage under load.

Hayseed_D5 09-08-2018 08:03 PM

The diesel would make absolutely no sense for me and would be a complete waste of premium for the engine. Also diesel costs more than gas here. Add in the extra maintenance, etc.

With that being said, I think the diesel is an awesome set-up nd is absolutely right for some - just not my situation. You have make the call based on your personal scenario.

andries 09-09-2018 12:00 AM

It seems the TD6 gets a bad rep for very short oil change intervals if it is primarily used for shorter trips and around town. From what I could read it seems to be an issue with the whole emission setup and programming. You may want to look into that pending your driving habits.

Black 18 Disco 09-10-2018 11:48 AM

The "very short oil change interval" is how long? I was used to changing oil every 3-5K miles in my previous vehicle and my Td6 engine is easily surpassing that requirement. I use my Td6 Discovery as a daily driver and do many shorter runs around town with stop and go traffic and the auto shutoff function engaged. From my research it sounds like the 4 cyl diesel engine in the Discovery Sport has had problems, and sensors have had to be reprogrammed (software updates) on multiple JLR vehicles, but problems have not been directly attributed to the Td6 design. I don't know what the "bad rap" is, but if you have owned driven the Td6 you will save tremendously over the life of ownership, particularly if you follow the JLR guidance of running premium in your gas engine vehicle to get the full horsepower rating. To each is own, but I have found the Td6 easy to live with and a great power plant, exceeding my every expectation.

vulturez 09-10-2018 04:02 PM

Been loving my 2017 TD6, no issues thus far. The recommended oil changes are at higher intervals than the gas oil changes, only difference is they replace the fuel filter on each change vs gas which does it every other. Only addition I really see for the TD6 is the DEF fluid that has to be filled. Still haven't had to fill mine yet though.

BritCars 09-10-2018 06:23 PM

I'd have thought this will depend a lot on how you use the vehicle. The Si6 has a ton more power than the Td6 (340hp vs 254hp). And is much quicker - 0-60 in 6.1s vs 8.7s. So it's a totally different driving experience. I'd say the Td6 is slow around normal traffic

But if you tow then the over 100lb-ft more torque - and the fact you get it at under 2000 rpm makes the Td6 vastly superior for towing

For fuel efficiency you have to do the trade off based on relative cost of petrol/gas vs diesel where you live and the cost of the vehicle

The DPF system has been driving people crazy in some of these Diesel engines. Not sure if that's fixed in the current ones

andries 09-10-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco (Post 661461)
The "very short oil change interval" is how long? I was used to changing oil every 3-5K miles in my previous vehicle and my Td6 engine is easily surpassing that requirement. I use my Td6 Discovery as a daily driver and do many shorter runs around town with stop and go traffic and the auto shutoff function engaged. From my research it sounds like the 4 cyl diesel engine in the Discovery Sport has had problems, and sensors have had to be reprogrammed (software updates) on multiple JLR vehicles, but problems have not been directly attributed to the Td6 design. I don't know what the "bad rap" is, but if you have owned driven the Td6 you will save tremendously over the life of ownership, particularly if you follow the JLR guidance of running premium in your gas engine vehicle to get the full horsepower rating. To each is own, but I have found the Td6 easy to live with and a great power plant, exceeding my every expectation.

I was referring to multiple threads like these that I saw in regards to the Td6 in the D5.
https://www.disco5forums.co.uk/viewt...=4343&start=10

Likely more relevant for colder climates and people doing mostly short trips, however something that other may want to consider in their decision. The cost of oil changes on the D5 is quite a bit more than the typical lube job many do at 5k miles, but with expected intervals in the 15k range it is not too bad.

The Td6 does seem like a great option for many, but it is worth looking at all scenarios when making a purchasing decision.