Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Discovery V (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/)
-   -   Opinions on Maintenance and Extended Warranty options (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-discovery-v-51/opinions-maintenance-extended-warranty-options-91009/)

andries 08-25-2018 05:41 PM

Opinions on Maintenance and Extended Warranty options

While the HSE Lux is on order wanted to get some input/do homework on potential Maintenance Plans and an extended Warranty before talking to the dealer. There seems to be a base prepaid plan and a prepaid plus plan that includes wear items like brake pads and rotors. Anybody bought these and any feedback if they are worth it or not? We probably will have the dealer service the D5 for the first 5 year/60k or so miles; and then we will see if we keep it or not. What do these plans typically cost?

I didn't see any options for extended warranty beyond the base 4yr/50k warranty. Are there any factory warranty plans? What are people's experiences if there are any? Anybody know how much these typically run?

SoCalWiley 08-25-2018 10:11 PM

I priced out the actual cost of the service in the pre-paid plan and it didn't make sense financially. I wasn't shown a pre-paid plus plan that covered wear items, only the standard pre-paid plan that covers a brake inspection but not pads or rotors if needed. The dealer kept telling me the plan covered things like software upgrades, but that is not stated on contract and the contract states that anything not specifically stated as being covered is not covered by the pre-paid maintenance. I passed.

andries 08-27-2018 09:22 AM

Do you recall the prices they quoted you?

lltt 08-27-2018 02:28 PM

https://www.landroverwestchester.com...ntenance-plan/

some dealer list plan pricing online.. FYI

BritCars 08-27-2018 03:19 PM

I would agree that the maintenance plan didn't seem cost-effective. Think it basically pulls forward to cost of servicing which means you are more likely to go to the dealer than an indy. Good for dealer but takes away your flex.
I did get the extended warranty - an additional 2 years that took it to 6 yrs / 75k miles I think. Their initial price was expensive (over $3k) but when I declined and moved on they came back with a much more reasonable price in the low $2k range. Perhaps not economic, but good for 2 more years of peace of mind. Repairs in these complex vehicles can be expensive and one moderate issue could easily cost that, so I went for peace of mind.
I did the same with my previous LR4 when i bought it (used) I got the CPO. I used it a couple of times - would have been a bit cheaper just to pay out of pocket as it was so reliable, But the peace of mind was worth it for me

SoCalWiley 08-27-2018 04:03 PM

I wouldn't talk anybody out of an extended warranty as it's basically insurance that pays for itself if you need it and you eat he cost if you don't. But the odds are good that something will go wrong at some point and so it has some value.

What I didn't like with the pre-paid maintenance is that you're pre-paying MORE than the service is actually worth. Sure it's less than the dealership will charge you, but that doesn't mean the dealer price is what the service is actually worth. For example, why pre-pay the dealer price for a brake inspection if you can just go to any brake shop and have your brakes inspected for free? Ditto for tire wear inspection. I just can't find the value.

Engine oil and filter replacement - $40 for 5 quarts of Castrol Full Synthetic, $30 for OEM filter
Pollen filter replacement - $20
Air cleaner element replacement - $40
Brake fluid replacement - $15
Fluid level check - Free
Fluid leak inspection - Free
Electrolyte level inspection and top up - probably $5 a six-pack for Brawndo?
Brake pad inspection - Free
Caliper inspection - Free
Disc inspection - Free
Tire condition check - Free

The dealer kept pointing out that DEF was included ...so I'll add $10 for DEF if you have a diesel.

BritCars 08-27-2018 04:56 PM

Totally agree. I was in the same boat. Better to make the decision on where to get work done as you go along. So I didn't see value in the maint plan.

andries 08-27-2018 05:00 PM

Thanks for the input, the maintenance plan prices are extremely high after looking at the link posted. That is in PA, which means local in SF Bay Area it will be even higher.

Is it feasible to buy the extended warranty at any point before the factory warranty expires? I assume the one mentioned is for the LR factory extended warranty that is honored by any dealer??

Ned O'Neill 08-28-2018 11:16 AM

I went with the extended warranty plan but skipped the service plan. There is so much tech in these that I figured it was good insurance.
I plan to do the servicing at a local garage.

ToiletDuck 09-05-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalWiley (Post 659802)
I wouldn't talk anybody out of an extended warranty as it's basically insurance that pays for itself if you need it and you eat he cost if you don't. But the odds are good that something will go wrong at some point and so it has some value.

What I didn't like with the pre-paid maintenance is that you're pre-paying MORE than the service is actually worth. Sure it's less than the dealership will charge you, but that doesn't mean the dealer price is what the service is actually worth. For example, why pre-pay the dealer price for a brake inspection if you can just go to any brake shop and have your brakes inspected for free? Ditto for tire wear inspection. I just can't find the value.

Engine oil and filter replacement - $40 for 5 quarts of Castrol Full Synthetic, $30 for OEM filter
Pollen filter replacement - $20
Air cleaner element replacement - $40
Brake fluid replacement - $15
Fluid level check - Free
Fluid leak inspection - Free
Electrolyte level inspection and top up - probably $5 a six-pack for Brawndo?
Brake pad inspection - Free
Caliper inspection - Free
Disc inspection - Free
Tire condition check - Free

The dealer kept pointing out that DEF was included ...so I'll add $10 for DEF if you have a diesel.

Just a heads up to double check the spec rating on the oil required. If there is a failure and they sample the engine and find out of spec oil they can void the warranty. My eco diesel was very picky about what could be used there only ended up being one or two brands out there that met the requirements. I'm not sure how this engine is designed but on the eco-diesel it wasn't really about the engine but the turbo was lubricated and the insanely high rpms and tight tolerances required it to have a special low-ash oil.