Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Rack fitted

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Rhino Rack fitted

Finally got my Rhino Roof Rack after a few logistical issues, but Rhino USA stepped up and got things sorted. Pretty good customer service, although it took a few calls.
I ordered the Pioneer SX Platform kit for the 2018 Discovery (since they don't list 2019 yet) - Part #JA8979
This includes the Pioneer SX platform 60"x 54" roof rack with mount rails - #44101B
and the Vortex SX Leg kit - #SX026

I also go the double horizontal jerry can holder (#43152) and 2 sets of 4 eye bolt kits for the Pioneer platform (#43178), still need to fit these.

Below are some pictures.

It took me about 2 hours to install the roof rack on the Disco. The instructions are pretty good, but I found a few things that may help others and save some time.

- I found it easier to put a ladder on each side of the D5, saved a lot of time and reaching over the roof to get to things.
- First unscrew the legs quite a bit to give lots of wiggle room.
- Instead of trying to fit the legs first, I slid the cross bar of the roof rack into one leg and then hooked that on the Disco factory rail. Resting the bar on the opposite rail.
- I then slid the bar into the second leg and hooked the leg on the Disco roof rail on the this side.
- Then used the supplied wind strips (which has nice metric measurements on them) to center the cross bars on the legs while tightening the legs. See pic below.
- I found it easier to slip in the T bolts before putting on the end caps of the cross bars. In actual fact I couldn't get the T bolts in with the caps on like they stated in the instructions.
- I placed the legs by the side holes where the factory crossbars mount, and the measured to center the roof rack's center bar between the cross bars (about 11" each side). This left plenty of room in front of the shark fin antenna and also when the hatch is opened to the rear spoiler. (Note: I will probably move it forward by an inch or so next time I fit it to give more clearance for the moonroof to open, as it is pretty close to the center crossbar that is part fo the rack platform assembly).

A couple of other notes:
It takes a few minutes to take off again with my wife helping to lift one side and walking off to the back. Just unscrew all 4 legs using the handy incorporated twist levers, then wiggle them loose till you can unclip them form the roof rails, lift and walk back till clear of the Disco.

Installing again won't take too long either, will test, but doubt it will take more than 10 minutes. However make sure to mark the front legs/side as the front is wider than the rear on the roof rails. I also took pictures of where it mounts on the roof rails as the exact position (or close to) will be important.

The moonroof does open, but with the way I mounted the rack it just clears the center bar on it by a few millimeters (a bit close). Mounting the roof rack and rails an inch forward will create more space for the moonroof to open. This may be the way to go and I may adjust it a little when I mount it again, as I surely don't want to scratch the moonroof, not that I will use it much with the roof rack on.

At any rate, ready for camping offroad season this coming summer

Last edited by andries; 04-30-2019 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by andries:
Groucho123 (09-05-2019), runNride (10-21-2020)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

That really looks nice!

what made you go with the Rhino Rack?

Old 03-24-2019, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
That really looks nice!

what made you go with the Rhino Rack?
Wanted a low profile rack that I could easily take off and put back as needed. Also one that had modular accessories like eye bolts and the Jerry can holder that can be moved and positioned as needed, relatively easily.

The size seems perfect on the D5 as well.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Cool.

I’ve been trying to decide between the Rhino and FrontRunner, so I thought I’d ask.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Cool.

I’ve been trying to decide between the Rhino and FrontRunner, so I thought I’d ask.
I looked at both rack installation instructions online before purchasing as well, made it clear which one would suite my needs better. I believe both are rated the same in terms of carrying ability, which is probably limited by the OEM roof rails. I think both are really good quality items, I just went with what suited my needs the best as I can't leave the rack on full time. The 4 quick screw mounts on the Rhino Rack made it an easy choice for me.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

This is great! I spent an hour so today researching roof racks. I like the accessories that Rhino Rack has, but man, that price :/

Are you planning to get the rail kit to go with it?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Not planning to get the rail kit, just going to use eye bolts to tiedown items.

They are pricey, but most lightweight roof racks of solid construction seems to be.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Awesome

Andries, love it! I have the Front Runner and have been thinking about selling my FR for this setup. I like the fact you can take it off when not using it. Rhino has also built up a ton of accessories. Looks awesome bud!

The following 3 users liked this post by EarthSurf:
Brav (05-14-2019), kurtisblo (03-25-2019), runNride (10-21-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of box do you have on your Front Runner rack? Any issues getting it installed on the slats?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the RhinoRack bars now and love their systems. Thinking about adding the platform to my D5.

How is wind noise?
Any effect on reception with the sharkfin being covered?

Quick Reply: Rhino Rack fitted