Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by Step How to Reset the Service Interval

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Update

I did have this problem once and was reset at the dealership for free after a DIY oil change at 16k miles. Just changed my oil again at 24k miles and reset at home without issue. The same dealership gave me instruction on how to do the reset at home.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

So, I tried this reset and it only moved the mileage indicator back to 4500 miles before next service. I was finally bitten by the windshield leak, so I have it at the shop getting that replaced. I asked them to look at the service interval not resetting to 15K miles. They just got back to me and said the reason it isn’t resetting is because it has to be hooked up to their scanner. They want $155 to reset it. That seems crazy. Is there another sequence of steps to reset? Or am I just going to have to pay the $155?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that price, just buy an iCarsoft diagnostic tool and have the additional benefits that come with it.

https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...er_jaguar.html

Old 12-21-2019, 06:33 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco
The service interval was automatically set for 8000 miles or 1 year intervals on the Td6 - so I think they are missing something. Also note on LR Edison site that you need to bring in for brakes, oil changes, tires, etc. in addition to the 15,000 mile service interval they cite. The generic sites are just that - generic and are not necessarily meeting Land Rover requirements - like the 21,0000 mile service interval they cite in a couple of instances. Since I was used to changing oil every 3-5000 miles I don't have a problem changing at an 8000 mile interval and ensuring the integrity of my vehicle. I do not have (the overblown) oil dilution issue and the 8000 mile interval was discussed from day one when I picked up my vehicle at the dealership. They even put the reminder sticker on the vehicle when new - so I feel fairly confident that 8000 miles is the desired service interval unless someone can provide greater detail from Land Rover. The first oil change was accomplished with a vacuum extractor at the dealership and the extraction point is on the top of the engine (passenger side) and looks like an out of place dipstick with a black twist cap - I helped do the work at the dealership to learn how it is all put together. Untwist the cap, attach the hose, and start the vacuum. I originally was going for the gravity drain for at home, but this is so much easier and cleaner when you have to deal with the skid plate, getting underneath the vehicle, and stray oil on the floor and you. I purchased my own vacuum canister (about $35 on Amazon) and will use it next time - wish I bought one of these earlier. The filter is in the top center under the plastic engine cover and requires a 32mm socket to remove the oil filter housing. Pretty straight forward process - no muss no fuss.
Yes, pretty straight forward and thank you very much for the info.
My two cents...you mentioned the 32mm socket, A MUST and believe me, I can hand tide the filter housing, but almost impossible to remove it, thus after several tries and messing up the plastic, I purchased a 32mm socket and now it is very easy. i wish I had read your post before I did it...

Thanks a lot and enjoy the ride.
LCL

Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did have this problem once and was reset at the dealership for free after a DIY oil change at 16k miles. Just changed my oil again at 24k miles and reset at home without issue. The same dealership gave me instruction on how to do the reset at home.
Are you able to share those instructions?

The following users liked this post:
Masbury (06-12-2022)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any luck on this?
@21000 miles, I cant reset my indicator any more.
Had to use dealer to reset indicator @11600 miles. And I had to reset indicator @19000 to get to 21000. Not it shows reset but available mileage doesn;t increase.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default It didn't fully reset once for me

It didn't fully reset for me one time after a DIY oil change. I took it to the dealership, they plugged it in and reset it for free. I buy the oil from them anyway. Hope you have the same great service I get here (original 30 dealership), but most of them sound like ripoffs from what I read online.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It didn't fully reset for me one time after a DIY oil change. I took it to the dealership, they plugged it in and reset it for free. I buy the oil from them anyway. Hope you have the same great service I get here (original 30 dealership), but most of them sound like ripoffs from what I read online.
Dealer charged me 1/2 hour labor to reset the indicator, while I was in for something else under warranty.
I just ordered a Foxwell OBD tool to try out.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a 2017 TD6 and now that I am at 70K miles, decided to do my own maintenance since the dealer prices are so high. Pulling the skid plate took an extra 15 minutes but I think the oil drain does a more complete job. Warning. The oil flys out all the way to the right front tire so make sure you hold the pan up to stop and catch it! The oil filter from the top is actually less messy than a typical oil filter.
did the front brakes too. They sure do hide the sensor wire behind stuff so you have to take out the wheel liner but it wasn’t bad.
What’s odd is the last dealer service put up a sticker which said when the next dealer service was required. I got a “service required” message on the dash at about half that interval.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went through the steps and saw the messages “service reset” but the mileage still says 0. Maybe a different procedure in some cases based on what system software updates have been done?

Quick Reply: Step by Step How to Reset the Service Interval