New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Not buying a new Disco yet, but the hidden hitch thing available in Europe, but not the US would have been nice. I was happy with the very recessed setup on my RR and Disco2, and semi happy with what I have on my LR3. I do not like the setup on US D5's, as it seems like an after thought. Not at all a deal breaker, but I hate anything that looks obnoxious when not in use. If wanted something cheap, I'd buy a GM SUV.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Not buying a new Disco yet, but the hidden hitch thing available in Europe, but not the US would have been nice. I was happy with the very recessed setup on my RR and Disco2, and semi happy with what I have on my LR3. I do not like the setup on US D5's, as it seems like an after thought. Not at all a deal breaker, but I hate anything that looks obnoxious when not in use. If wanted something cheap, I'd buy a GM SUV.
Totally agree! The D5's stock hitch is certainly capable, but soooooo ugly! I don't understand why there's not a 'hidden' option available for the US market! I configured our Disco without hitch and hope that aftermarket hitches become available soon. I'm counting on "stealthhitches.com" or similar.....

Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but!! is it possible to retrofit the Discovery US Models with the EU hitch recessed version?? I would think it is more than feasible!!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gclasse
but!! is it possible to retrofit the Discovery US Models with the EU hitch recessed version?? I would think it is more than feasible!!
Yes, theoretically it is. But after contacting a supplier in the UK, I was informed that it would not be legal to operate such a hitch in the US (stupid, isn't it?!).....

Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
Yes, theoretically it is. But after contacting a supplier in the UK, I was informed that it would not be legal to operate such a hitch in the US (stupid, isn't it?!).....
Might not be legal, but it wouldn't stop me from doing this. All of this is assuming it's a 2" ball on the hidden hitch in Europe. If it's anything else, then I guess I'm stuck with the ugly N.A. hitch setup.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Might not be legal, but it wouldn't stop me from doing this. All of this is assuming it's a 2" ball on the hidden hitch in Europe. If it's anything else, then I guess I'm stuck with the ugly N.A. hitch setup.
I was looking on the regulations and it seems to be just the size that is different!! not clear on the differences.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:23 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Kim
Just installed the Tow hitch receiver + ebay side steps. Took about 3 hours combined. There are two bolts which I were not able to install because of the exhaust. Otherwise the install is very straight forward.

Still wondering if I need to do the SSD at the dealers. I'm not sure what it would do.
I just started my install and got about 15% done before I got stuck

How did you get the rear bumper off?
The instructions does not show you how to do it. Can you share how you did this?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM
8th Gear

Got the bumper off by removing screws inside the wheel well and popped a round tab then pulled the bumper off.
It was a HUGE job to do. Not hard, just long. Ended removing the spare tire and all shielding and dropping the hangers for the exhaust so I was able to get all the screws in. I ended up taking way more apart than needed but hey I know now

I took allot of picture and could put a guide together if people want but honestly depending on dealer cost I would happily p[ay $350 to get it installed

Last edited by sighting; 06-24-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 PM
Overlanding

Got this from the Service Manual, Is for the Deployable Tow Bar, but removal of bumper should be the same!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 PM
8th Gear

I was referring to the removal step 4 where it says "Remove the rear bumper. For additional information, refer to: Rear Bumper (501-19 Bumpers, Removal and Installation)."

On that note does any one have the Workshop Manuals for the our LR5's?
Even a link to buy them --
cheers

Quick Reply: Tow hitch