New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Added some unreliability to life

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 08:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Added some unreliability to life

Hello fellow Land Rover enthusiasts.

After 20+ years of unremarkable and completely reliable driving experiences behind the wheel of Toyota and Honda vehicles, last week I bought a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX with 137,000 miles. I live in NE Ohio and the vehicle was in Portland, OR. I bought it without personally conducting a PPI. I took a chance, and used a service called Lemon Squad. They provide a ASE mechanics who conduct the PPI and send you a report. In my case, the technician sent me a full write up and 294 photos! I bought it from a private party and used an online escrow service to transfer the money and pay off the existing lien, while protecting the interests of both parties. I paid $1,695 to have it shipped on an open car transport. If I did this again during winter, I would pay the extra for covered transport. The LR exterior was super filthy by the time it got to Ohio. The good news is the underside of the LR is clean and rust free.

The timing chain/guides/tensioners have been replaced by the previous owner and it came with a good set of maintenance records. Everything works, although it is missing the inner hood insulation and OEM cargo mat, has an intermittent suspension fault, cracked third brake light housing and a ticking fan clutch on cold startup. Up to this point I have not done my own vehicle maintenance. I plan to start doing basic maintenance on this LR e.g. oil changes, brakes, tire rotations. I've been researching floor jacks, jack stands, torque wrenches, breaker bars and MityVacs.

Thus far I have
- detailed the exterior - two applications of Mothers CMX
- installed new wipers
- dropped in a new Duralast Platinum AGM Battery
- sprayed undercarriage with lanolin based Surface Shield from NE Ohio based PB Blaster

Pre-transport, sitting outside Portland.

Post-transport, sitting in my garage in NE Ohio

Frame is dusty, but rust free. Hoping PB Blaster Surface Shield treatments will keep in that way.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-10-2023)