Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introduction (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/)
-   -   D1 Owner Denver Colorado (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/d1-owner-denver-colorado-62190/)

denverdisco1 10-01-2013 07:26 AM

D1 Owner Denver Colorado

I just bought the 1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 from my mother, she bought it when it was a year old in Canada. Has just about 100K on it and was garaged so it's in great shape so far. Looking to meet other Disco/Rover owners in the local area for some fall runs. It's stock and not exactly the greatest tires, think I will be looking at those soon.

Any help with things to look for would be appreciated, brakes are bad, not exactly a fast stopper, I have a 96 BMW 318is (37mpg 5 speed) so hard to compare but I would hope it would stop better.

Savannah Buzz 10-01-2013 07:40 AM

Welcome. The shop manual is a free download below, called the RAVE. Our tech area has a 60K list of things to catch up with. Lots of fluids on the bottom side. You can up fit the brakes with new pads and rotors and improve the stopping, but it is a ponderous beast, higher center of gravity, and no respect for the fuel that that is swilled at a high rate of speed. Can't behave like the bimwah on the turns. Be sure to shift in/out of differential lock, if mom was not using it the linkage can rust up. You'll love it.

denverdisco1 10-02-2013 09:12 AM

Yes I am loving it, I work for Wrenchead/eBay and still get my employee discount from the auto parts warehouse I worked for here in Denver, lots of Disco parts. Thanks to hear about the diff, I do use it a lot the few times I hit the trails to make sure it works, lucky it was pretty sheltered, now trying to find a way to rig my phone mp3 player to the standard head, no CD player so guess I need a 13 pin din and start playing.
Thanks so much for the welcome, I'm lucky to live in a place to explore it's capabilities and don't have it as a DD so not too worried about the MPG but it has been better than posted, I drove it from Washington State to Denver and was getting 16 if I didn't drive 85mph.
Steve

Disco Mike 10-03-2013 08:58 AM

You might want to go to the D1 section, open the sticky at the top of the page and click on my major service list, chance are your truck will be needing most if not all of the list done on it.
If you have any questions, get back to me.

jamescphillips 10-03-2013 04:55 PM

Welcome!

I'm down in Highlands Ranch should you need anything...Mike is a great help too.

I'm heading up to Barbour Fork on Saturday - should make for a fun outing with the upcoming snow!

denverdisco1 10-04-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jamescphillips (Post 424009)
Welcome!

I'm down in Highlands Ranch should you need anything...Mike is a great help too.

I'm heading up to Barbour Fork on Saturday - should make for a fun outing with the upcoming snow!

Thanks, looks like a good trail, is it doable with a stock Disco? I do need some new tires.

jamescphillips 10-04-2013 12:55 PM

Definitely - it's a fun trail that's close to home for me. You get a little tippy in a few places, but nothing really crazy.