New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

First time Landrover owmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Landrover owmer

Hello everybody my name is dave and i am a first time Landrover owner , i bought myself a 2001 Discovery 2 SE7 .
Always wanted one but now i am having a few problems with this machine
i love driving it not so mutch fixing it right now .
I have change the catalitic convertor and mass airflow sensor and a rad hose but now i have a new problem and i am not sure what it might be .
My thought is the fuel pump but not sure how to test it without going to a dealer .
I was driving home when the truck stoped running so i pulled over and turned the engine over but it would not fire up , waiting for the tow truck i tried again about 40 minutes later and it fired up but then cut out again 2 minutes later .
Got it towed home and it fired up again and it will sit and idle on the drieway but dont want to drive it incase it cuts out again .
Does anyone have any ideas .

Sorry my first post isnt a happy one .

Thankyou Dave

Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Since this thread has been viewed 11 times without a reply...

The crankshaft position sensor is a common failure part on these vehicles, that, when they fail, exhibit the same symptoms as you are experiencing: crank no start until the engine and sensor have cooled off. You may do a search on this site to see how common a problem this. The sensor is on the left side of the engine, lower, where it mates with the transmission. I remember someone pouring ice cold water on the sensor to cool it down to allow the engine to restart.

I strongly suggest downloading the RAVE from http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip It is the full-blown factory repair manual for your vehicle. Between this forum, and RAVE, you can keep your dealer visits far and few between.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 10-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

This sensor is in the $60 -$100 range, and is a two bolt project. It controls the ignition timing and without it being in great shape your issues pop up. And yes, it will quit on you again if not attended to. Page from RAVE attached, link to whole RAVE for your very own bed time reading (you'll be reading while everyone else is in bed and you are still crawling under the Disco)... is below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
crank sensor d2.pdf (706.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou for your help guys i really do apretiate it .
I will check out the RAVE .

Dave