New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hello everyone

I'm Paul, I have a 95 Disco that has been sitting around a few years. Something happened and I needed a new ride for the wife and got her a Volvo XC90. Anyway after sitting a while I finally started to diagnose the problem and the transfercase was dry. So I'd like to start taking this thing off roading like it should have been instead of being a grocery getter. It needs the TC replaced and it really could use a radiator. Other than that I'd like to raise it at least 2" and get some good off road/mud tires. I think that will get me started but I'm looking for advice on modding it for pretty heavy trail duty.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. be sure to download the free "RAVE" shop manual set, has electrical, workshop, owners manuals, etc for your vehicle - at link below. You might consider that TC leaked this oil while sitting, there is an inspection plate on the bottom that is prone to leak. If you refill with synthetic 85W140 or such, it may work. The radiator is a $600 item, but you can remove yours easily, and take to a small indy rad shop for acid flush out, and they can unsolder a tank and rod out the calcium build up. They can also solder up any leaks. Since radiator is all brass and copper it is repairable usually, and if you find a small shop that also does farm and construction equipment (that's where they make their money) should be under $100. One mod should be weather proofing the ECU which is under the hood.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Welcome. be sure to download the free "RAVE" shop manual set, has electrical, workshop, owners manuals, etc for your vehicle - at link below. You might consider that TC leaked this oil while sitting, there is an inspection plate on the bottom that is prone to leak. If you refill with synthetic 85W140 or such, it may work. The radiator is a $600 item, but you can remove yours easily, and take to a small indy rad shop for acid flush out, and they can unsolder a tank and rod out the calcium build up. They can also solder up any leaks. Since radiator is all brass and copper it is repairable usually, and if you find a small shop that also does farm and construction equipment (that's where they make their money) should be under $100. One mod should be weather proofing the ECU which is under the hood.

Thanks, I'll download that today.

I think you're right about the TC plate, it leaked slowly out of that plate. There was some warning signs but I thought it was the toque converter making noise. I tried to refill it but the bearing are shot.

The radiator is really bad off. I took it to a repair shop, it was the 1st time I've been told by them that it was better but I would probably need to replace it. It works OK in the winter but summer traffic and off road it wants to overheat. So it looks like I'm in for a new or used one.

I didn't know that the ECU was under the hood. Are there some threads around here about weatherproofing it?

Last edited by green-lantern; 01-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Mudding

BTW this might be a dumb question but where is the best place to post about advice on off road mods? In the Disco I area? I don't see an area just for off road except a place to share stories etc.