New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hi FROM COLORADO

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi FROM COLORADO

I've been considering purchasing a LAND ROVER for the past 2 years, ever since my daughter got one. She and her husband both have Land Rovers , one a Disco and the other an LR3. The problem is the ratings I see for Land Rover in general. Particularly Consumer Reports . They really worry me since, at 68, I'm not in any position to repair my own vehicles. The stealership would be doing any repair work for me. Do these vehicles really deserve the below average ratings they get?

john

Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Some yes but the newer ones are quite good as long as they are maintained.

I have a 2006, and 2007 LR3 and a 1983 Land Rover 110 all great trucks.

Oh and welcome from Augusta, GA

Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Larkspur! Maintenance is key, but you will not have the same kind of fun as you will driving a Rover. I've more recently acquired a couple of older 110s and a much older IIA, but in the past I've owned nothing newer than 2003 and they were all great. Never left me stranded. If/when you need a shop and if you're on the Front Range then look up Roadside Werxs. All others that I know of will cost a bundle. The best Land Rover saying is, "One Life, Live it."

Old 12-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't your title read "High in Colorado" ;-)

If you're not willing/able to do some routine maintenance on your own, look from something newer. LR3 and LR4 are better but lack "soul" (IMHO)

Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I think the LR3 still has soul, don't know about the LR4

Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Denver! I agree with RhinoRover regarding older vs newer vehicles. Speaking from my experience with Land Cruisers, not ROVERS, I prefer the older vehicles. Anything I couldn't/didn't want to fix was easily repairable by a shade tree mechanic in darn near any small town I happened to find myself in.

I just drove an '84 FJ60 150 miles on Sunday. Very slow-and completely enjoyable. Drove my '94 Discovery immediately after for 15 minutes and the experience was...lacking. Strong engine (4.6L), everything works, but zero emotionality. But it's all perspective. My wife and I took the Disco for a ride yesterday (she drove) and compared to her Outback, she said it felt like a tank and "cool". Couldn't stop remarking about how cute she was in "her" Discovery. Yeah-her Disco-my money!

ANY of these older vehicles (Cruisers, Rovers, etc) will need work. And by older I mean anything 10 years old and up. Parts availability on really old Land Cruisers can be expensive due to scarcity, but the work is easy. Parts on the newer vehicles are available, but still likely expensive and depending on your skills you may have to take it to a specialized shop (mo money mo money mo money).

Again, I'm speaking from primarily a Land CRUISER background, but that's my experience. Old is cool. Buy the best one with the least amount of body work needed, and start scrounging for parts. Mechanicals (on older ones) are fairly easy-body parts/work isn't...but again, this is Land Cruisers.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default Thanks everyone for your responses

I was indeed looking to get an older model. Maybe 3 to 4 years old. Unlike my kids, I'm not into off road; I do, however, like some creature comforts. BTW I'm from Colorado Springs, home of Red Noland Landrover.
Like most vehicles base models can be somewhat economic. However, when you start adding options, the price really climbs.

Thanks again,

john

Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

Hey John!

My name is Sam and I also live in Colorado Springs. I just purchased a 2006 LR3 and I can tell you that it is in great shape! The previous owner took great care of it. So if you are looking to buy an older Rover (even if it's only 3-4 years) I wouldn't worry too much as long as the previous owner took great care of it. I bought mine in the DFW area where my parents live, so the truck was never taken off road and was well-maintained.

I'm speaking from a total newbie perspective, but still, I really do think these LR3's and LR4's will do you good! Good luck with your decision!

Sam

Old 07-16-2022, 09:26 PM
4wd Low

Hello I bought an LR4 that needs a head gasket. The car starts up without any problems, but there are gases in the coolant and coolant in the oil. It failed to gas test twice by turning yellow. I was reading on the forums about Nathan Crabtree and Platinum Auto group land rover in KY. I live in Colorado and looking for a good place to replace my head gasket. Can any tell me who is good or any reviews on Platinum Auto Group Land Rover KY? Thank you.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Landrovers, Range Rovers, Discoveries, lR4s

2012 LR4 with multiple upgrades

Plan is to replace front bumper with ARB at some point.

2010 Range Rover HSE near Arapahoe Basin, Up Country Colorado

I’d get one that has 78K to 95K miles if you can find one, or one that’s well-appointed and well-maintained.

I’ve had 3 range rovers ranging from classic to a 2010. The classic rovers had chronic problems, such as loose steering and failing power steering pump, rust, and electrical problems. The V8s were based on a US engine from the ‘50s. BUT they were really cool to drive and great off-road. Of the range rovers I had, the 2010 felt like an off-road limousine. It felt like I could go anywhere off-road but in absolute luxury.. I’ve had a Disco 3 and I now have an LR4. To me, the LR4 is the last true marque where you’ll see in Colorado fitted out LR4s with upgraded front and rear bumpers, roof racks, and suspension systems. The LR3 has the same upgrade capability as the LR4. In contrast, try installing a center locking differential in a Velar or the new Discovery. And I’d prefer a Defender 90 or 110 over the new Defender for the same reason. At lower cost than the Defenders, The Classic Range Rover, Discovery III, or LR4 would be my choice.

I do a lot of my own work, including brakes, suspension components, etc. Classic rovers are very simple and they are classically cool. The new ones are ridiculously expensive to fix. A stereo system on my 2010 - $4K? not sure. If you are good with fixing basic things like suspension, brakes, water pumps, etc. I don’t see any reason not to buy one that has been well appointed and is in good shape.

I’ve also had a land cruiser, a 1950 (I think it was a 1950) classic Jeep wagoner (which was a beast with its straight 6 engine), and a 1994 Jeep Wrangler. None came close to the land rovers I’ve had from a design and off-road-capable perspective in my opinion. The Landcruiser was a 10mpg tank. the Wrangler felt like I was getting battered up/down/left/and right inside the cab while driving it off-road with wheels in the air and no articulation at all. I understand the new ones are worlds better, but I haven’t driven one.

Last edited by rogerh; 07-17-2022 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Photos

Quick Reply: Hi FROM COLORADO