New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

HOWDY from Good 'ol Wyoming!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile HOWDY from Good 'ol Wyoming!

Howdy Everybody!

I have just recently purchased this rover, and thought I'd join up...I had checked a few forums out and thought this one is cool. I am looking forward to having some great conversations with you all!!

In retrospect, I have found that the person I purchased the rover from is a very good liar...BUT..thats the way life is, nobody held a gun on me to buy it! LOL! Actually, I really like it, and although I was not looking for a project, I think with some time and work, it should turn out nicely!

I intend to use it as a work car to keep the miles off my new stuff (it has 169,000 on it now)..I travel approx 12 miles a day round trip, so if in the event something breaks, its not gonna kill me! We get about seven months of winter, and 5 months of bad skiing, so I think the rover should do well on the snow and ice, as long as it doesnt mind the occasional -20 degree days.

You all have a great day!!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

What a deal you got. Now you can get the whole set of factory tech manuals (called the RAVE) at the link below. Ride on over to our Discovery 1 tech area and you will find lists of things to do for new-2-u rovers, and fixes for lots of common problems, many with step by step photos.

You'll want to think about an oil to use, many owners use a diesel rated oil to get extra cleaning of the gunk left behind by previous owners. In your garden spot one choice might be Rotella T 5W40. Time to get to work on all the fittings and swivel housings and everything else under the truck before it gets too cold to lay on the ground....

Post pix and such early and often. Roof racks are the "man cave" of the outdoor world, admired by all...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply Savannah!
I will be sure to download those when I get home..I had just changed the oil, but I will keep that info in my LR folder.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COOLBEANS,
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
You will enjoy your Rover, I can tell already by your personality in just the little that you have told us! The best thing you can do for your rover is DO NOT LET IT OVERHEAT. These head gaskets go pretty easy! I did mine 25,000 ago because P/O let it overheat... Idiot. Also, these engines tick, knock, shake, bang ect... People on this forum INCLUDING me have taken them all apart, replaced them with brand new parts and they have still ticked, knocked, shaked, banged ect.... If you have some free $$$ install a aftermarket oil psi gauge. I did and I have 42 psi at 2500 rpm and 20 at idle! She ticks but, I have came to the conclusion that she is just letting me know she is running!
Welcome again. PM me if you have any problems, I'm on almost every 8 hrs (ROVER JUNKIE) so I comment a lot if I can help people out.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM
4wd Low

Thank You atancreti !! Its funny you say that, as it makes all those sounds from time to time...I just figured it was the nature of the beast, so to speak...it certainly has a mind of its own! LOL! Recently, it has taken to at start-up, going to 2200 rpm, and after 10 minutes of idle it will gradually drop to 1100 rpm, then finally dropping to 700 rpm, it will sure freak me out if it continues to do that in the winter!! Thank You for the offer of help, as I am sure I will need plenty of it!
Have a great evening!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Winching

Coolbeans,
That idle seems really high at first start. 2200 rpm for me is used when I'm going 50 mph. When I start mine she goes up to 1300-1700 rpms. Depends if I hit the gas while cranking. Other that that, dose it miss? Any stalling??

Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by atancreti
Coolbeans,
That idle seems really high at first start. 2200 rpm for me is used when I'm going 50 mph. When I start mine she goes up to 1300-1700 rpms. Depends if I hit the gas while cranking. Other that that, dose it miss? Any stalling??
I noticed an occasional miss a few days ago..then I changed the oil, started it up, let it slowly idle down for a while, put it in gear, then back to park, which dropped the idle to around 500 rpms, I let it idle back up, and when it did that, it starten running like it had fouled a plug..I took it for a short run in 1st, hoping to clear the plug, but NOOO! So, I am changing to new plugs (which I had already purchased..all they had was AC Delco) hopefully today. AND I hope thats all it is!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Winching

Coolbeans,
Go with a 8mm spark plug wire. You have a dizzzy on there right?? Could be something with that as well.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by atancreti
Coolbeans,
Go with a 8mm spark plug wire. You have a dizzzy on there right?? Could be something with that as well.
Well you got me there...what is a dizzzy?
I did find two unfriendly items...passenger side, 2nd plug in, the threads were stripped about an 1/8" (at the most), real close to the 4 prong end...I cleaned the threads, from what I could see they looked ok..ran a magnet, no metal, CAREFULLY installed the new plug, nice and sealed..runs alot better! Still starts with the high idle, but suprisingly, dropped to 1700 rpm within about 40 seconds.

The second thing..(I am really unhappy about it) same position as the problem plug, the headbolt was twisted off about half way down, (it looks like). So, possibly I can pay someone who can remove it without too much trouble..I think its called an 'easy out' or something like that.

I'll check on the wire size at work tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Dizzy = old skool distributor

Quick Reply: HOWDY from Good 'ol Wyoming!