New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Intermittent full beam tell tale dashboard light MOT fail!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:04 AM
NFC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent full beam tell tale dashboard light MOT fail!

Hello all, first post and hoping for some help please!
My Y plate Discovery Td5 series 2 has failed it's recent MOT due to an intermittent tell tale full beam warning light in the dash (full beam and dipped headlights work fine, not affected). When you pull the lever stalk on the steering wheel towards you (to flash or switch to full beam) the blue dashboard light comes on very briefly (flickers once) and then goes out again. Likewise if you put the full beam on permanently.
To try and solve this issue I have so far done the following:
1. removed the light/indicator switch unit, opened it up and gave it a good clean with contact cleaner and refitted it. This appeared to briefly solve the problem but then reverted to flickering again..
2. replaced the light/indicator switch unit with a brand new one however this did not have any effect at all - same problem.
3.removed and replaced the bulb in the actual dashboard and checked the contacts in the bulb holder are secure - again no improvement.
I've run out of ideas and just wondered if you have any ideas about what to try next please? I was wondering whether it might be a relay, but am not sure where to start looking? Many thanks.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

isn't that how its suppose to work.??? when you pull it its the "im about to overtake you flash " but if you push it forward ,it stays in high beam ...at least that's how mines work......

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM
NFC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justryan
isn't that how its suppose to work.??? when you pull it its the "im about to overtake you flash " but if you push it forward ,it stays in high beam ...at least that's how mines work......
Er, no! The blue dashboard light should remain lit for the duration you have full beam in operation. Mine flickers on briefly and then goes out, hence the MOT fail. Thanks

Old 03-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

ohhh i see , that's messed up , connect a test light directly from the wire directly before the module , and do so going backwards , process of elimination ....

Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Sound like you need to replace your switch, as the clean and refit wasn't sufficient.