New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

To Lr4 or not to LR4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 12:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Lr4 or not to LR4

Hi -

I just purchased a 2016 LR4 HSE Lux from Carvana - after looking for months for a good vehicle with a single owner and relatively low miles. This one has just over 50k.
Bad news - just had my mechanic look it over - and there are over $5k in repairs required. The two biggest items are control rods and the power steering fluid is leaking. (There are things like the battery needs to be replaced, cabin air filter needs to be replaced, etc.)

So now I'm trying to figure what the total out of pocket costs will be after the limited warranty covers the repairs. I'm guessing ~2k.

I know LR4s are expensive to maintain - but this experience sucked the wind out of my sails, to a degree. How much more expensive can in be to keep the vehicle in good shape in the next few years?

I need to make a decision to return the vehicle in the next few days - or just start paying for repairs. Thoughts?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

yep sounds like you bought it from caravan. it should be relatively trouble free. you need to replace the crossover coolant pipes if they haven't been done. Best way to make an LR4 last is to change the oil every 5k mile son the DOT. do not exceed that or follow the recommend service fo 15K miles and you'll be pretty good.

Carvana should be required to take it back if it's just been a few days. I'd return it if you don't like it, or if you do...then $2k isn't bad if you can confirm that's all it needs. I'd make them make it right. you were sold a car you thought nothing was wrong on it and you probably paid the caravan premium for it too.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lr4ornot
Hi -

I just purchased a 2016 LR4 HSE Lux from Carvana - after looking for months for a good vehicle with a single owner and relatively low miles. This one has just over 50k.
Bad news - just had my mechanic look it over - and there are over $5k in repairs required. The two biggest items are control rods and the power steering fluid is leaking. (There are things like the battery needs to be replaced, cabin air filter needs to be replaced, etc.)

So now I'm trying to figure what the total out of pocket costs will be after the limited warranty covers the repairs. I'm guessing ~2k.

I know LR4s are expensive to maintain - but this experience sucked the wind out of my sails, to a degree. How much more expensive can in be to keep the vehicle in good shape in the next few years?

I need to make a decision to return the vehicle in the next few days - or just start paying for repairs. Thoughts?
I can get you a quote and example contract on a complete manufacture's extension warranty courtesy of Freedom Warranty, serviceable by your independent or at the dealer, 5, 6, 7 year / up to 100,000 mile policies available. text or call me at (602) 909-9216 or send me an email at tgibson@highline-autos.com

I have had the identical policy on my 2013 Land Rover since day one. It was the extensive coverage that made me comfortable owning a used Land Rover.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lr4ornot
Hi -

Either way, you're going to need an extremed warranty for this LR4 or another in the future. The only reason I bought my 2013 Range Rover was because of how much coverage I received from Freedom Warranty with a complete manufacturers extension policy. Text or call me at (602) 909-9216 or email me at tgibson@highline-autos.com for a free quote and example contract.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm a Range Rover owner and enthusiast, forum sponsor, customer of my own product, and offering free information to help make an informed decision, just trying to provide value to fellow enthusiast and owners.