New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

My second Land Rover - after 35 years!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My second Land Rover - after 35 years!

Just recently picked up a 2001 Discovery II SE7 after a good 3 years of searching. I wanted a Chawton White with Dark Smokestone (gray) interior, which proved challenging to find. I looked at many Discos, in various states of abuse, decay & neglect until I found this well maintained garage baby with only 108K miles in northern Los Angeles. This was an unusual car buying trip: took the train from San Diego to LA with cash in my pocket and drove the Disco back.

The owner said the intake manifold gasket had to be replaced and priced it accordingly. Sure enough a water test proved it was leaking badly. Normally I would take a job like this on myself, but due to a sudden shortage of wheels in our household, I had to get a local independent LR shop take care of it ASAP. Also had the plug wires & a noisy idler pulley replaced while everything was accessible. Car runs really nice now!

Slightly concerning is that the head gaskets have not been done, but the mechanic mentioned that he has never seen an older Disco with a motor in as good shape as mine. Service records show that maintenance was done religiously, so hopefully I'll get a head gasket reprieve for a while.

To be done:
  • Change out AT, transfer box & axles fluid
  • 3 Amigos (of course)
  • Headliner (also of course)
  • Switch out driver's seat squab with a flawless passenger side on I found on eBay
  • Refurb console (not sure how the rest of the car is flawless and the console is so messed up )
  • New stereo

Future plans:
  • 2" lift when the currently 100% working air suspension fails
  • Change tires to 265/75R16s
  • Possibly convert from 7 to 5 seater for more space
  • Steel bumpers

My first LR was either a 1957 Series I or 1958 Series II 88" (SWB) diesel. It was a restoration project that started while I was in high school and sadly had to sell when I ran out of money and my father out of patience What I wouldn't give to have that vehicle now.

I later learned that the next owner installed a Ford V6 in it - sacrilege!!