New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Here, Old Forum Veteran

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, Old Forum Veteran

Hey all you Land Rover People!
Ever since getting out of motorcycling 5 years ago, I pretty much stopped frequenting the forums. But, I am about 12 hours away from doing something VERY DANGEROUS! I am about to buy a 2012 LR4. Being an engineer and a certified (or certifiable?) PetrolHead, I've done a fair amount of research and feel like I've picked a good vehicle (104K miles, 1 owner, new timing chain and guides, new control bushings, new brakes and rotors, new water pump, and intake manifold gaskets... all done in the last few months). I'm not new to high-cost parts and high-maintenance vehicles, but I haven't purchased a high-mileage vehicle of any sort in many years, so am rightfully-nervous, since we're talking 5 figures for these puppies these days. I've scanned a few of the stickies and checklists and feel like I've got a good handle, but definitely would welcome any of your regulars to chime in with any relevant (of irrelevant for that matter!) comments.

While I am buying this as a second vehicle primarily to get to my native Colorado's wonderful trailheads and snowshoe destinations, I also love the desert southwest and have been itching for moderate off-road and fire road driving. But, as this point in my life, I definitely know who I am... and who I am is a guy that can't help slide down the slippery slope of upgrades and mods and I can already sense that if I spend too much time chatting with you lugnuts, I could end up spending a lot of money that should be going into my retirement fund! (luckily I don't have any kids... they'd have been SOL a LONG time ago!)

Anyway, thanks for letting a known reprobate like myself in here... hopefully you won't regret it ;-)

Old 10-26-2020, 02:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Is it an HD, l believe the HD model LR4 has a rear locker, stock. Anyhow, they're a pretty impressive off road vehicle. Plus, still offer interior room for a sleeping compartment or gear. Good luck, with your purchase...sounds like it was properly maintained.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Is it an HD, l believe the HD model LR4 has a rear locker, stock. Anyhow, they're a pretty impressive off road vehicle. Plus, still offer interior room for a sleeping compartment or gear. Good luck, with your purchase...sounds like it was properly maintained.
Thanks!

Just curious: How did you know it was an HD? And yes, it has a locking rear diff ;-)