New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to Land Rover in NY

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New to Land Rover in NY

Hi, I'm a long time (19 years) British car guy and Electronics Designer.

My first and still currently owned brit is a 1957 Triumph Tr3. I've also restored a Triumph Stag and Jag XJ6, and am currently working on a 1975 Triumph TR6.

I've always wanted to own a classic Land Rover, but I was really interested in a working truck that I could show cars.

The Discovery has interested me from the time it came out. Something about the style appealed to me, but it was still out of my range. The older models have dropped in price to where I could buy one, but I'd been preoccupied for the last few years with job and family issues. That's why my TR6 isn't done yet.

A few weeks ago, I saw a classified ad on EBay for a 1997 Discovery LSE for $1000. about 20 mile from me. Non-runner, claimed it was the fuel pump. It had had the heads done, new times radiator, front suspension work, about $7000 of work in the last few years, but it had been sitting for a year.

Well, I love a project, so my wife and I went to look at it. It had been sitting in the woods for a year with the hood open and looked like crap. Hurrican Sandy must have dropped something on it, because one of the Alpine windows was broken and it was clear it had just happened. It smelled to high heaven of animals. It wouldn't start.

The owner dropped the price to $800. I would probably have taken it for $1000.

I paid her, left the keys in the ignition and arranged transport through a broker. The guys who picked it up called me at midnight, while I was fast asleep! They were at the bottom of my driveway with the it. One of the tires on it was flat ( from sitting, it later inflated and it fine) and we were going to push this thing around.
I was still half asleep and was only half aware what I was doing. I figured we could use the lights on the Disco to see where were going, so I went and felt around and dropped the cables onto the battery. The interior lights in the DIsco cam on and I got in. Then they turned off. I had forgotten the lights were on the stalk on the column, and couldn't figure out how to turn them on. Figuring that I could get some additional light by turning on the ignition. I turned it. All the way. The Disco started like it had just been parked. I drove it off and up my driveway and parked it, and sent the transport guys on their way.

It's got a few rusted out spots where you can't see them, but I can weld those up in few hours. The hood latch is stuck open and the back door only opens from the inside.

ABS and SRS lights are on, which I understand from reading here is common after the battery goes dead.

Brake pedal is low, could be accumulated rust on the discs, worn pads or just needing a brake bleed.

It's got some fading of the paint on the roof and center of the hood. It might buff out. Otherwise it's cosmetically perfect.

I already fixed the Alpine window using info I found here.

I haven't looked at the frame yet.

Engine idle is high, but I don't think I'll have problem with that, I and old hand at EFI systems. I actually designed on of the earliest scan tools for GM and there's a ton of information here already.

The headliner is sagging, but I can get a new one and replace it.

My problem is the smell. I've dealt with this before, I have a Buick that sats unused for 6 months and smelled terrible, but not as bad as this.

I'm going to had to disassemble anything I can to get all of the mice nests out of it. I've already gotten one out of the center console, and from the sound of it, there is stuff in with the heater fan.

Maybe I can have this thing ready for the first big snow here in the northeast. :-)

Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to the madness! im from Middletown but live in Westchester now. If you are interested in wheeling the truck check out our club at North East Land Rover Club and our forum at Free forum : NELRC .

besides everything you plan on doing I would pull all the carpeting and check out the rust situation. also wouldnt hurt to pull it so you can clean it and dry it since it probably has a good stench. the headliner is easily repairable think there is a write up on how to take it out and recover it or you can do what i did on my old d2 and paint it.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Disco Owner in NY.

Thanks Ed, I may eventually take you up on that.

I've stripped most of the interior, just the dash and from carpet remain. There's only surface rust inside, and not much of that.

There were mouse nests in every imaginable spot, roof, center console & walls. The doors seem clean.

I haven't gotten the heater out yet, but I'm guessing I'll find some in there.

SInce I'm working outside and it's just hit the freezing point around here, I guess my work will be limited.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the family!