New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member-No Owner YET

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member-No Owner YET

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but a member of several others for vehicles I own and find them to be very helpful.

My daughter is soon to be 16 and we are looking at buying her a car. She wants an SUV of some kind. We have a Jeep Cherokee but she does not want that. She really likes the Discovery and I do as well.

My questions: (and please be honest and open)
Is the Discovery a good car as far as maintenance?
What kind of MPG can we expect?
Is it safe for a young driver?

Thanks for your opinion and help,

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottydog13
Hi all, I am new to this forum, but a member of several others for vehicles I own and find them to be very helpful.

My daughter is soon to be 16 and we are looking at buying her a car. She wants an SUV of some kind. We have a Jeep Cherokee but she does not want that. She really likes the Discovery and I do as well.

My questions: (and please be honest and open)
Is the Discovery a good car as far as maintenance?
What kind of MPG can we expect?
Is it safe for a young driver?

Thanks for your opinion and help,
Welcome...

1. Unless your 16 yo is an aspiring mechanic, YOU will have to keep on top of the maintenance, if you don't, the Rover will turn against you and make your life hell, and you'll spend thousands of dollars or hours trying to fix the problems you could have easily prevented. They are relatively easy to work on, just download the RAVE service manual (do a search, there are quite a few people with a link in their signatures)

2. I got between 14/17 mpg when my truck was 100% stock.

3. VERY SAFE. There were some pictures in the DII section recently of a Disco that got hit hard on both sides, driver and passenger walked away uninjured.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...my 16 yo is a prissy blonde cheerleader...so not mechanical skills there. I keep up out cherokee and my sport trac, but don't need more project vehicles. Plus I'm not to thrilled about premium only gas.