New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New in NC

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:09 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New in NC

Hey, everyone.

Just purchased my first LR. I ended up with a 2002 Discovery 2. It is completely stock…for now. 143k, but seems to have been well taken care of (compared to the many others I viewed.) Anyway, the search is over and the fun begins.

I enjoy projects and tinkering on vehicles, but am a little nervous as I am new to LRs.

I am just converting after owning Jeeps. Actually, I still have a 78 cj-7 I need to sell before my wife kills me, and before I can do too many upgrades.

Bought a Land Rover because I needed a true utility vehicle. This discovery is better suited for camping trips with my kid and wife with me. I am able to hunt out of it and not wake neighbors and everything in the woods (jeep is a 304 with side pipes). And it will better accommodate our canoe outings once I get a rack. Also, I suffered from rover envy as a friend in Alabama has one he would let me drive from time to time

I appreciate all the knowledge the forum gave me as I looked for a vehicle and know I will continue to benefit from your years of wisdom.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM
7th Gear

So.... It has begun.

Yesterday I did a full inspection of my new purchase and made an order from Atlantic British. Front driver brake lines were leaking, so new SS lines on the way. New transmission filter, thermostat, crush washer, oil filter, brake master cylinder reservoir, air filter, plugs, and wires.

Went to advance auto parts today to finish the list with fluids needed to complete discomikes high mileage service. Thanks, man.

Looks to be a fun weekend for me and my new friend!!!

Oil was low and I couldn't wait until Friday for my order to come. Did a preliminary oil change today. It was 2 quarts low. Yikes!!! Anyway, drained and replaced with rotella and a fram filter. Will drive it like crazy until the order comes. At that time I will flush, put on the good filter and fresh rotella...and complete the high mileage service. Also, went ahead and added the seafoam to the gas today.

Thanks for the hours of reading material and advice.

Lollygagger

2002 disco 2

Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

welcome. sounds like you are off to a good start. big swap from the old cj7. sold my last jeep in '04, now with the room, comfort and not bouncing around like richard simmons, I haven't really missed any of them.
good luck with the truck and have fun.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of great folks to ride with in NC, more to the west, but plenty of people from you area travel over to have fun. I will post up some links for you to get started.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ro...utheast-58485/

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 12-19-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
7th Gear
Default Been away for a while

Ok, guys. Here's an update.

Sold the cj7 and got me a little play money. And boy did I need it. After flushing coolant I opened up the flood gates. Small coolant leak became a Massive coolant leak. Hooked up my computer and it was continuos misfires on cyl 3&7. Replaced seals and had a valve job done to fix the leak. Finished out discomikes high mileage service and this thing is running like a champ. Glad I bought it cheap, because it has taken 1500 to sure everything up.

This thing is a beast now... You may have seen that we had a major ice storm a few days back. Power out for 2 days. Anyway, brought the land rover around to help neighbors pull tree tops out of their yard. They were impressed with a vehicle that looks this nice was that capable.

Only got stuck one time because the tree dug in like an anchor. As soon as I unhooked it, I slowly pulled out of ruts. It didn't slip another time. Can't wait to replace these street tires with something AT.