New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

I recently purchase a 1997 land rover discovery for a steal at $500.00, it's got 96k on it and runs well the only problems I can find is that the brake light came on but from the feel of the pedal and having to add fluid to the reservoir it feels like it needs new pads, also the diff lock lever doesn’t move at all (it's been sitting for a year)so engaging 4x4 is out of the question until I fix it. Theres some rust under that battery and a little in each upper inner corner of the rear doors where it connects to the wheel well . Other than that it runs and drives great, interior is mint and everything works. I've always wanted a disco and I'm happy to have one in the driveway.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner-photo.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. You'll find the complete shop and owner manual set (called the RAVE) in a free download link below. In our tech area there is a high miles service list, time to get busy. Under the truck are plenty of things waiting on you to replace lubricant; CV swivel joints, drive shafts, two differentials, and a transfer case. One thing would be a complete brake system flush, have three quarts of DOT4 fluid on hand. While at it check all your brake lines, calipers for leaks, etc. Pads are easy. Another, based on age, not miles, is radiator. It is a good copper and brass one, and your indy rad shop can unsolder a side tank, rod out calcium and scale build up, and hot flush it, was $75 for me, carry in.

On my 97 I was able to free up the CDL by taking off some of the console trim, and exposing more of the shaft of the short shift lever. I used a can of PB Blaster and a straw snaked down along the shaft and some other trim not removed, and soaked it good, and it works freely now. Others report "shifts like butter" after a more complete teardown and grease job.

Your truck has an OBDII diagnostic port, and you may want to look at a clever scanner/code reader/dispaly unit like an Ultra Gauge, about $70. Can't really trust the heat gauge, it is wildly optimistic. Here's a pix of mine and a scanner. Above 50% is trouble. A sound like water and bubbles rushing thru pipes under dash can be air in coolant, or exhaust gas in the coolant from a bad head gasket.

Sounds like you got a bargain.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner-p1120320.jpg