Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introduction (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/)
-   -   New owner of a misfiring 2000 Disco II!! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/new-owner-misfiring-2000-disco-ii-79597/)

samroy92 06-05-2016 04:20 AM

New owner of a misfiring 2000 Disco II!!

Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I am new to these forums. Just purchased an 00' Disco II with 110,000 miles on it, here's the picture:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...75de2f0894.jpg

I am getting a code misfire P0305, cylinder 5. I read a lot about this on the forum for the past few hours - going to replace plugs and wires (hopefully cheaper than the $750 quoted by land rover mechanic).

Happy to be here on the forums, this is the second Disco I've owned.

Charlie_V 06-05-2016 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by samroy92 (Post 569622)
Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I am new to these forums. Just purchased an 00' Disco II with 110,000 miles on it, here's the picture:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...75de2f0894.jpg

I am getting a code misfire P0305, cylinder 5. I read a lot about this on the forum for the past few hours - going to replace plugs and wires (hopefully cheaper than the $750 quoted by land rover mechanic).

Happy to be here on the forums, this is the second Disco I've owned.

Looks like a nice Disco. Congrats. Does it have any other codes than the p0305?

samroy92 06-05-2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 569677)
Looks like a nice Disco. Congrats. Does it have any other codes than the p0305?

No, just that one but I've only driven it for a day.

I experience rough vibration when I press on the gas pedal, likely due to the misfire - even when stationary. When I accelerate on the freeway it feels more intense.

Hopefully its not gaskets or something, I am calling up a dealership on monday to retrieve the maintenance records for this disco.

Charlie_V 06-05-2016 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by samroy92 (Post 569678)
No, just that one but I've only driven it for a day.

I experience rough vibration when I press on the gas pedal, likely due to the misfire - even when stationary. When I accelerate on the freeway it feels more intense.

Hopefully its not gaskets or something, I am calling up a dealership on monday to retrieve the maintenance records for this disco.

Unless there's something deviously wrong, I think you're in good shape. Sounds like a sparkplug wire, spark plug, or injector.to that cylinder. With no other misfires you can probably rule out a head gasket issue; that cylinder is a long way from the water passage.

It is going to be something simple. I would buy one spark plug. Pull the wire from number 5 and put that plug in it. Lay it on metal and start. Does it spark? If so, swap the new spark plug in. That might fix it. If no spark, check the wire all of the way back to the coil. Look for burns or cuts.

If none of that yields results, you might have a clogged injector. Not a huge deal to change.

Post what you find.

number9 06-06-2016 12:30 AM

I would buy one spark plug.
Swapping a known good plug would be less expensive and better troubleshooting. Most cheap ass pilots and doctors know/recommend that.

Charlie_V 06-06-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 569729)
Swapping a known good plug would be less expensive and better troubleshooting. Most cheap ass pilots and doctors know/recommend that.

Not when you are checking for spark. That would leave an open hole and a face full of gas.

So, Sam. If you swap the spark plug and that doesn't fix it, put it all back together and go buy a 3 dollar spark plug to check spark, after it cools off again (unless your drove something else to get the spark plug). Or you could get one in advance to check for spark. Your choice.

IMHO a 2000 is the best year. You have the square headlights (glass, not plastic), the first year model (99) anomalies are ironed out, they have the lower compression 4.0 engine, the engine dies aren't all worn out (another member, Chubbs, enlightened me about that), and you probably have the locking CDL that went away from 2001 and didn't return until 2004, lurking just under your truck. Nice!

But I'm biased...

number9 06-06-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 569736)
That would leave an open hole and a face full of gas.

Maybe the way you would do it?

Charlie_V 06-06-2016 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 569739)
Maybe the way you would do it?

Hahaha!

Have a nice day, Number9.

samroy92 06-06-2016 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 569736)
Not when you are checking for spark. That would leave an open hole and a face full of gas.

So, Sam. If you swap the spark plug and that doesn't fix it, put it all back together and go buy a 3 dollar spark plug to check spark, after it cools off again (unless your drove something else to get the spark plug). Or you could get one in advance to check for spark. Your choice.

IMHO a 2000 is the best year. You have the square headlights (glass, not plastic), the first year model (99) anomalies are ironed out, they have the lower compression 4.0 engine, the engine dies aren't all worn out (another member, Chubbs, enlightened me about that), and you probably have the locking CDL that went away from 2001 and didn't return until 2004, lurking just under your truck. Nice!

But I'm biased...

Thanks Charlie, I will give this a shot today or tomorrow and report back. I am still waiting on the dealership to give me these maintenance records too.

I think I will just swap two plugs and clear the codes.

Thanks

samroy92 06-07-2016 12:21 AM

So I tinkered around with the wires today, I honestly couldn't even pull out the wire after my workout... But I noticed the radio now has a loud cutout and THUMPING noise in tune with the engine.

I am now guessing there is some electrical grounding on the bad wire, cylinder 5. I think I will go for the whammy this weekend and replace all plugs and wires myself.

Anyone have any thoughts on the radio? It's a loud, high frequency cut-out and buffeting. Almost like the radio is being played back via microphone in a windy environment.

--Sam