New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi, Just getting started being a rover owner. I have been looking at Discos and Range rover HSE 4.6. Not quiet sure what all the different models are yet, I have been looking at late 90's early and early 2000 models, most need some work so I can afford them. If anybody has any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from it would be greatly appreciated, A couple that I looked at were in great shape body wise and interior wise but head gasket repair seems to be the most popular. I have some mechanical ability and a good buddy who is a Class A mechanic and he said he would supervise a head gasket job. Ok, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, My rover would mainly be a daily driver and used for duck hunting and fishing excursions towing a small duck boat and fishing skiff.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

My advice is, find one that someone has maintained and not run through the mill. You aren't buying Toyota or Honda reliability. What you are buying is a very unique vehicle with the off road capability of a mountain goat, when driven wisely. For being a daily driver, find a mall crawler with service records. You will spend money on repairs, leaks, the usual. If you have a friend who can work on them that will save you money. I'd suggest a Discovery if you are looking to pack it with duck hunting/fishing gear. Probably more room in a Disco than a Range Rover. The late 90's Discovery I's are different from the 2000-2004 Discovery II's. They may appear to look the same and they are similar, but the engines, interior, etc are different. For a daily driver, I would probably consider a DII. Good luck.