New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Pre-Disco Newbie needs more advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Disco Newbie needs more advice

Hi guys, I've gained a significant amount of knowledge about Land Rovers just by having read your very helpful posts in the past couple of days. Thank you for coming together to support each other like a community.

I've tried to familiarise myself with the technical details of the Disco I and II. There seems to be a lot of contributions by Disco I owners stating that more problems occur in Disco I than Disco II. Yet these Disco I owners still stick to their vehicles so very loyally. I can see major technological improvements in the Disco II (not to mention the completely new-generation beauty in the form of the Disco III which is too expensive for my liking) but then again I am not prepared to pay too much for a vehicle which I intend to use for towing a 2.5-tonne (5,500 lb) caravan occassionally - because I already have another vehicle for daily use, 1989 Isuzu Bighorn that gives me a good run of 22 to 27 mpg.

Then again, the 1995 Disco I 3.9-litre V8 ES which I am eyeing now is a fine specimen (93,000km, about 58,000 miles), with regular services in the last three years by the current owner and almost in prestine condition and with lots of bells and whistles.

I've read enough to know that I may only get between 12 to 15 mpg from this beast, but the price is not too bad for a nice vehicle like this. I may be able to get it for about NZ$9,000 as opposed to a 1999 Disco II which goes for about NZ$22,000. Yes, we Kiwis are paying so much more for vehicles as compared to Americans without taking into account currency conversion but just figures alone. Minimum wage in New Zealand for adult is NZ$9.50/hour! before taxation of 19.5%, 33% or 38% depending on total income per annum. I'm getting diverted, sorry.

For what I'm intending to use the vehicle for, given my situation, I am likely to stay with the lower initial outlay of the 1995 Disco I and keep it well maintained than to pay more than double to get an improved version (extra NZ$12,000!!!). I have the option to take a Mechanical Warranty insurance for 36 months @ NZ$1,650 to cover for major hiccups.

I've also read so much about the off-road prowess of Land Rovers and I may do a little of off-roading now and then but, that's it. The question is whether I should even attempt to step into the world of Land Rovers or should I find something else. I think I will enjoy the culture of tweaking a Land Rover, given the resources and support available through local clubs as well as global internet community.

Now, please...I would welcome all input from you helpful and experienced folks regarding my decision to go Disco I, II or none. Thank you very much.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Pre-Disco Newbie needs more advice

I have a 1995 Disco I with 106,000 on the engine. Runs well, and the transmission is in great shape.

I like the Disco I's, as the stuff that goes wrong with it generally something you can fix without going to a dealer. The Disco II's added a lot of nice features. However, the more gadgets you have, the more likely one of them is to break.

The only issues I periodically deal with that I don't like are the occaisonal Lucas inspired electrical anomalies, and the periodic oil leak. The oil leak is very minor, as it is more a slight seepage, but it is bothersome to me on a purely aesthetic level. I have redone my head gaskets, oil pan seal, and valve cover seals a couple of times over the last 10 years. The last time I used a product called Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. So far it has done quite well.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear

Thks anonimaus for your advice. You sure sounded like a careful Disco owner. I have looked at two Disco-I, a 1996 (NZ$11,000) & a 1995 (NZ$9,000) and I'll be checking a 1994 one (NZ$5,000) out this coming Sunday. If I get it, I'm going to need a lot of technical support from you experienced guys here.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:31 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what you did.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear

After looking at the range of LRs which are within my wife's budget [sm=headbang.gif], I decided to wait for a while more while our circumstances change to get something better, like a TD5 or hopefully [sm=wakeup.gif] the LR3-TDV6!!

Anyway, it's "NO, NO" as far as getting my toy is concerned......for now, hee, hee[sm=smiley2.gif].

Thanks for asking. Cheers[sm=closed.gif]

Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you find what you want.
I wish we could get the diesels here.
My Bora TDI is a lot of fun after a little of this and that.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god i would give my wife away for a disco diesel especially a tdi3 snorkels useless on the rest not legal USA