New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Newbie - 2003 Disco II Father & Daughter Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie - 2003 Disco II Father & Daughter Project

Howdy All from Houston,

When my youngest daughter asked if she could get her hands dirty while I was wrenching on classic BMW's I knew she would be a future car enthusiast as well. She was nine then.

When it was time to select a "classic" that would become a daily driver for school, she kept talking about Land Rover Discovery's. My initial reaction was "No way, I seen those brake down as brand new", long story short - here we are. Now there is a rule in our home and that is if Mom & Dad make a financial contribution towards a car, we create the specs. Kids need to pay for their share and we assist with rest, so they have ownership. Otherwise there is the school bus as an alternative. So her oldest sister ended up with Mini Cooper with 6 speed manual transmission. This is my anti-text protection device since they need their hands on manual transmission instead of their phone. Now with the oldest daughter in college (no car needed while studying) we could trade in the Mini for our youngest daughter.

So, here we are are after seeing about 6 Disco II 's over 3 month period we ended up with a 121K, Epson Green SE with comprehensive maintenance record that ticks all the right boxes. Thank you to all contributing members on this forum, especially DiscoMike who made our Disco II selection process easier. We are now the new caretakers and I will use D2 as daily driver to work (40 highway miles every day) and learn the quirkiness of the Disco II. After two weeks of driving I can see why LR enthusiasts like these future classics. The visibility, room inside and roar when you push the V8 is easy to get used too. Besides, there are no rattles inside of rubbing plastics and noises, well beside the rear brakes. Clearly quality built 4x4 trucks.

My youngest already knows about the "3 Amigos" and the ABS modulator functionality, and soon she will be changing the oil/ilter and before driving her Disco II back and forth to school.

We will be continuing to learn on this forum and make positive contributions.

Thank you

JP