Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introduction (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/)
-   -   You are all NUTS, why the heck do you all buy these things!! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-member-introduction-4/you-all-nuts-why-heck-do-you-all-buy-these-things-68131/)

adventure95004 07-13-2014 07:28 PM

You are all NUTS, why the heck do you all buy these things!!

Unreliable,poor build quality,ergonmic nightmare,almost no positive reviews on used car sites,did I mention poor quality plastic,money pit,tempermental,poor power to weight,poor gas mileage,oddball electronics,will drive you nuts troubleshooting,makes you learn a whole new vocabulary... @%$# &$&&$ *&^$%$#ck,can drain a wallet faster than having two girlfriends,every trip is a stress test wondering if you will make it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..........
SO I looked at one and bought it, 04 white with black interior. Sigh why oh why, paid way too much but it's clean and tidy with no leaks(yes it has fluids in it) and everything works.. I look at the Discovery as being about the last of the old generation of trucks and barring some electronic bugs which can be gotten around with the right equipment it is a fairly basic machine that can be worked on by most people with the right knowledge of which there is a lot of here and on other websites.
I have owned odd cars before with the worst being a Renault Fuego Turbo LOL but have had all Hondas for the last twenty years, all of which have gone 150k+ with NO problems and minimal maintainace..
But now I'm 50 with a little extra time and money I have decided my life needs a little excitement and being originally from the UK the Landy fits the bill.
I do some dualsport riding so I like playing in the mud and mountains and that is where the Disco will be headed.
Hopefully I will be able to contribute as much as needing help here and already I have learned much from the forum both from the answers and questions that I would not have thought of.
I live north of Tampa FL not far from Richloam and Ocala NF and I have spotted a few LR's in the woods when riding so hopfully it will not be to long before I am out there too.
Regards Andy

adventure95004 07-13-2014 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My awesome Rover ☺

dusty1 07-13-2014 08:09 PM

good looking truck. welcome. best of luck to you

landlover_1 07-13-2014 09:46 PM

lol..

...you don't need to tell me that I'm nuts - I already know that I am! :D Welcome to the 'crazy' club.

VIC00dIS 07-22-2014 01:35 PM

Hope to see you in Ocala ! some time.. She has never been dirty so don't know how soon I will take her up. From Lakeland

adventure95004 07-23-2014 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by VIC00dIS (Post 473940)
Hope to see you in Ocala ! some time.. She has never been dirty so don't know how soon I will take her up. From Lakeland

Lol mine is not so clean, you should try Richloam most of the trails are sand so it's a little easier to clean off and it's only 30 minutes from you ..
I come through lakeland once a month or so heading down to Sebring.
Andy

VIC00dIS 07-27-2014 07:07 PM

Ok.I would like Richloam as Well. I have trouble with the steering every time I see a bare spot thru the woods..lol

4x4 Brad 02-13-2016 03:28 PM

Ey up mate

Honestly, when I bought mine I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That was almost 4 years ago. Am also originally from UK... figured that getting one would be a nice "taste of home" ha ha ha, I love the car but it's more of a love/hate relationship. Doesn't help that I am FAR, FAR from being wealthy. These things are costly in the upkeep department.

My Dad (back in England) spoke to me on phone the other day, he said: only a wealthy man could afford to run and maintain one of those things. He is right! And I am not wealthy! My wallet cries every time!

Why oh why didn't I get a used Land Cruiser instead!

:)

Rlozano 02-14-2016 09:28 PM

This post was hilarious as it describes my purchase to the t!

I hear you buddy. I just got mine close to a week ago knowing exactly what I'm getting into and excited about it as crazy as it sounds. I think this is one of the cars that when you like it and want it no one can convince you otherwise. My best friend tried to talk me out of it and get a Jeep Cherokee but here we are! :D

4x4 Brad 02-15-2016 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rlozano (Post 553849)
My best friend tried to talk me out of it and get a Jeep Cherokee but here we are! :D

It's one of those things that you have to own during your lifetime. They are actually quite addictive and it's easy to get "brand attachment syndrome". You'll be looking at Defenders next.

Here's the thing though - and I don't know how long the OP has been stateside, but I moved here from UK about 9 years ago, and if you check AutoTrader from back home you'll see Discos and Defenders in reasonably good condition going for under 3 grand easy.

I was curious how much it might be to just nip home one time, buy one and have it shipped over. Even with 2k shipping fees, you'd be looking at a car that'd give you the "fix" that you want plus it's still 5k cheaper than what you could get it for stateside. Some Defenders over here are selling for over 12k, which is ridiculous to me when I can get one for 2 grand in Yorkshire.

Just a thought.

Anyone know how much UK to US car shipping might cost, ball park estimate?