Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Charlottesville

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Charlottesville

This is so sad, hatred and violence for what? Americans fighting and now killing Americans for what, it's all ludicrous IMO, the greatest country in this world harbouring and proliferating such violent hatred, it's all for no good reason and needs to stop.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

The result of liberalism and political correctness.
It has stirred up old hate. Big government misdirection to help take more of our rights.
Welcome to a world where common sense is a super power.
Charlottesville is an hour and a half north of me.
Fortunately, I live in a small town. Black, white, green, whoever, get along and live peacefully here in the country.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 08-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

WTF??? I really don't have time to get into this too deeply but you really are laying the blame on liberalism for a group of neo ****'s and Confederate ******** igniting a fire in Charlottesville? Political correctness is the root of people marching down an otherwise peaceful street with banners that would get them arrested in Germany or France, and ridiculed in the UK? Sorry Sixpacks but I don't know what sense of history you have but what transpired in Charlottesville but that march was not the result of liberalism or political corrrectness. It was the result of almost two year of our dear leader pandering to truly "deplorable" people. My father fought in WWII to make sure the s&^theels that were marching on Saturday NEVER would see the light of day in America.

And as far as those ridiculous Confederate battle flags. The south lost. The flag is a banner about political correctness? That flag is representation of a people who tried to destroy the USA by breaking it in half. They should not, in any way be idolized. Think about the fact that the sole aim of the CSA was to break apart the USA over slavery and spare me the BS about state's rights. Take a look at the articles of succession presented by South Carolina after Fort Sumter. Lots of mentions of slavery but not so much of state's rights.

We have a President who would rather attack the African American CEO of Merck because he resigned from the manufacturing commission the administration created, rather that actually speak out about a neo **** who ran over a 32 year old woman. Despicable. Then when he finally attempted to say the right things, it wasn't from his heart, it was from a teleprompter. Remember how everyone used to criticise Obama when he used a teleprompter. Jeeez!

Let's face it, even before Trump announced his candidacy, he was telegraphing his political perspective to people on the far right. From the BS birther claims he made to his calling Mexican's rapists and criminals. His America First policies harken directly back to the ideas fostered by the likes of Lindberg in the lead up to WWII. Make America Great Again. WTF does that really mean. Make it great for all the disaffected white people who were pissed off because the world was passing them by? Associate himself so directly with dangerous websites like InfoWars which peddles in absurd conspiracy theories and to actually allow people like Steve Bannon, Sebastian Gorka and Stephen Miller to darken the hallways of the West Wing is nothing short of horrifying.

What happened in Charlottesville can be completely laid at the feet of our dear leader, Donald J Trump. He has failed, at every attempt (remember when he said he didn't know who David Duke was and how long it took for him to disavow Duke's endorsement) to stem the growth of these neo ****, alt right, Confederate a$$holes. Now, just eight months in we have Charlottesville happen.

BTW, did you know that Trump, shortly after taking power, instructed Sessions and the Justice Department to move focus away from these far right American based terrorist groups? All the while, we as American citizens, since 9/11 are more likely to become the victim of a far right terrorist attack than anything from ISIS or AQ. American far right groups have killed more American's since 9/11 than all the crazies in the Middle East.

Last edited by Paul Grant; 08-15-2017 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Grant:
OffroadFrance (08-19-2017), Racer X (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 AM
TReK

In the wake of a 32 year old woman being run over and killed in Charlotteville by a neo **** who apparently was violent with his mother, who was confined to a wheelchair, we have our dear leader Tweeting away with an image of a CNN reporter being run over by the "Trump Train." He must have sent out that tweet while he was still on the crapper because it only took a short while before someone in his administration pointed out its inappropriateness and the tweet was removed.

WTF has happened to this country?

Attached Thumbnails Charlottesville-screen-shot-2017-08-15-12.25.48-pm.png  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:51 AM
TReK

Re read it.
Liberalism and polictical correctness has stirred up old hate. The goverments have only antagonized both sides.
I'm not racist. I don't condone what went on there.
Do you know how many people the democratic party has bussed in to protest, you name it, and they don't ever go peacefully. It just keeps getting worse.
I am for equal rights for all, and in the U.S, which is what it stands for. My grandfather, and wife's grandfather also fought in WW2. I enlisted, but was denied on medical.
Government, especially ours, is crooked.
They allow and incite these "peaceful" protests. Which, as said, only end up taking more rights from us.
If white supremecists, black panthers, or whatever side of the fence want to gather and protest...let them, they have the constitutional right, like it or not.
Go out to "protest" against them, and guess what, it turns violent. It always does, only to what degree, when, and where are the only differences.
Want statues taken down? Go to court.
Want to fight? Organize a protest/aka riot, and fight when the opposition shows up. Which is what happens.
Common sense isn't so common anymore.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Re read it.
Liberalism and polictical correctness has stirred up old hate.
What rock are you living under?

These groups didn't just appear overnight, but Trump emboldened all of these Alt-Right hate groups that you're seeing into feeling safe about spewing their hatred in the light of day. Political correctness didn't enable these ****bags, a presidential candidate, now president, did by courting them for their support by offering his indifference to their agendas in return.

Nevermind the fact that his father was a KKK supporter, so this is old hat for him.

I starting sounding the alarm over what his rhetoric would lead to if left unchecked as far back as 2015. Long before he won the primary election. Everything that we're seeing now with regard to these hate groups feeling emboldened to march on towns and cities across the country, and inflict terror on the minority groups in this country that we're seeing is a direct result of Trump sounding the call to arms two years ago.

So don't stand there and try to lay this at the feet of political correctness and liberalism. It's a crock of BS and you know it. Conservation of slavery and the tooth and nail fight against civil rights that followed was always a conservative position.

The sooner that EVERYONE in this country comes to terms with the fact that the POTUS will ruin this democracy if it benefits him in any way, the sooner we can begin to reverse the damage he's already inflicted at every level. Because if we don't, and we continue this stupid game of trying to blame one another, I'm going to tell you now that history has shown that we are at the trail head of a very dark place, and no nation that has continued down this path has fared well at all.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 PM
TReK

It's the bull**** game of equivocating everything.

I'm horrified when people like Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher or Charles Kaufmann are denied the right to speak on college campuses. It was disgraceful that Berkley, the home of the free speech movement blocked Milo and Ann from speaking. Middlebury College should be ashamed of the fact that its students ran Charles Kaufmann off the campus, injuring a woman in his entourage.

I'm all for free speech and I'm willing to hold a debate with anyone whose opinions I happen to disagree. But after two long years of dog whistle politics aimed directly at the likes of these neo ****, KKK, alt right a$$holes, I'm sorry. Like I said above, if they were in France or Germany, they'd all be behind bars. I'm fine with that. We know, all to well the path that these white supremacists what to lead us down and the end isn't pretty.

You know, my wife had an entire branch of her extended family tree extinguished by the ****'s 75 years ago. She has been petrified by expressions like "America First" and MAGA. These harken back to the pre WWII stirrings of powerful white supremacists who were all to willing to let Western Europe fall into the hands of these **** madmen. It's a crying shame that people no longer have any sense of history. It enables the inane equivocating we continually here these days.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM
TReK

So, hate groups, whom I do not support, organize an event. People who oppose them show up.
Unfortunately someone was killed, but why is anyone shocked? Who thought it would remain peaceful?
Even though they are legally assembling.
You all can rant about Trump all you want.
You brought him up, not me. I never voiced support for him. I did however oppose his rival in the election.
Their are alot of us sick of the pc culture. Liberals constantly preach tolerance...that is tolerance for things they agree with. Their ideals have helped turn this nation against itself, again. That white privalege has ruined everything. I'm white, and I had to work hard and pay taxes to get where I am. I know just as many hard working black and mexican folks doing the same.
We haven't had race relations this bad in 50 years.
Hate groups will always do just that...hate.
Keep giving them media attention, escalate tensions, yeah, that solves everything.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM
TReK

"So, hate groups, whom I do not support, organize an event. People who oppose them show up.
Unfortunately someone was killed, but why is anyone shocked? Who thought it would remain peaceful?"

This is a gross oversimplification of what happened on Saturday.

"You all can rant about Trump all you want.
You brought him up, not me. "

It's a shame you are blind to the kind of vitriol he has been spilling out for years. It's the epitome of dog whistle politics. It's the very thing that incites groups like the KKK, neo ****'s and alt right jacka$$es. They have been given, what they see as a great opportunity since Trump occupied the Oval Office. It is why activity on the far right has expanded as greatly as it has over the last year. It took him three days and almost nonstop criticism before he came before the press to specifically denounce white supremacists, neo-****'s and the KKK. Three days. And then what does he do? He tweets an image of a CNN reporter being crushed by the "Trump Train." You don't see the kind of message this sends to people on the far right?

"Their are alot of us sick of the pc culture. Liberals constantly preach tolerance...that is tolerance for things they agree with."

Ok, so now you're revealing your true colors.

"Their ideals have helped turn this nation against itself, again. That white privalege has ruined everything."

I don't know that I would say that "white privilege" has ruined everything in America but I do believe, as a white American who can trace his lineage back to before the Revolutionary War, that to deny we have designed a culture that benefits us specifically is foolhardy. Just as it is foolhardy to deny that white males have gone out of their way to make it tougher for people unlike them to have an equal opportunity. Basically, Sixpack, you're a white male growing up in a country that was designed by white males for white males. In terms of world history we are at the very top of the food chain. Male, check, white, check, American, check, check, check. In the starting block of world history, we have half of the fifty yard dash already done before the starter pistol is even fired.

The problem is that white males have been sluggish to adapt over the last 50 years or more. That's precisely what MAGA is all about. Let's get back to the early days of the post WWII society where men (white men that is) were men and women stayed at home with the children (and people of color knew their place). White males have never accepted, without a big fight, the changes that were occurring all around them over the last 50 years. Now, you've got pissed off a$$holes like James Alex Fields and the hordes behind him responding with violence.

Leaders (and I use that word facetiously) like Trump delight in stirring up people like James Alex Fields. He get's them into a frenzy. Most are able to contain themselves but how many times did we see violence advocated and committed at Trump rally's all throughout the election? The pity is these dimwits like Fields are too stupid to know they are only being used by Trump. He could care less about any of his supporters beyond saying whatever he has to for securing their vote. He is not looking after their best interests he only cares about his own.

"I'm white, and I had to work hard and pay taxes to get where I am. I know just as many hard working black and mexican folks doing the same."

Congratulations. You sound like a good, hardworking guy with a lot of diverse friends. I'm surprised we're even having this conversation but...

"Hate groups will always do just that...hate.
Keep giving them media attention, escalate tensions, yeah, that solves everything."

Again, we're back to an oversimplification. Hate groups will always hate, that may be true. But American never does well when we have leaders who have gone out of their way to give those groups a sense of power they didn't have before. When Trump was elected The Daily Stormer, Richard Spencer and a whole contingent of neo ****'s, alt-right characters and the KKK (look at how pleased David Duke was with Trump's election) rejoiced. Since the election and this weekend in particular, Trump has done nothing but fan the flames of hate these groups thrive on by equivocating, by failing to call out those that pose the greatest threat to our way of life.

Media attention? I'd love nothing more than as many exposes on these hate groups as possible. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Show these people to be what they are and what they want America to look like.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 03:36 PM
TReK

It's funny, I just got a news alert where Trump asked if George Washington's statues should be torn down next.

If only our dear leader had some sense of history. There are many great differences between George Washington and Robert E Lee. Sady, Trump, clearly doesn't know what they are. How about for starters, George Washington helped to FOUND this nation. He fought FOR it's creation. Last I checked REL led an armed insurrection AGAINST the USA. He fought to break up the USA. Minor difference, I'd say!!!

Want to talk slaves, ok, both owned them so clearly there was that. However, Washington lived in a very different era before importing slaves became illegal, before any of the political winds ever began to blow in a direction of freedom for African Americans. Was it right, of course not. Had we as individuals and as a nation come to grips with what it meant to "OWN" another person, sadly, I think not. I do believe, that by 1860 things had changed dramatically. Lee knew what he was fighting for and that is why a terrorist like that should not be edified by statues and holidays. He did what he could to bring an end to the USA and, frankly, he and the rest of his cohorts should have been treated accordingly.

What is wrong with our President???

Quick Reply: Charlottesville